2023 Google OS infotainment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just traded in my 21 Yukon for a 23. I notice a big difference in the drivers display and the Google OS. The drivers display is a nice change from the old analog gauges but the new infotainment seem kinda boring, the old system's icons each had a color to help identify them, I guess it will take some time to figure out what some of the new icons mean. What does everyone else think about Google's version of infotainment.

Thanks.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just traded in my 21 Yukon for a 23. I notice a big difference in the drivers display and the Google OS. The drivers display is a nice change from the old analog gauges but the new infotainment seem kinda boring, the old system's icons each had a color to help identify them, I guess it will take some time to figure out what some of the new icons mean. What does everyone else think about Google's version of infotainment.

Thanks.
FWIW, I would prefer to have the old one...but...alas, progress.

On the UP side, you get google maps instead of an SD Card based map that you have to pay to update, so the maps are always the latest.
On the DOWN side, you have to pay monthly for the data plan and you have the buggy google based infotainment...

ScottPSU

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Google based infotainment leaves a lot to be desired. Slow and buggy best describe the experience. Otherwise, the entire vehicle is great. Just picked up a ‘23 Denali w/super cruise. Loving it. Presets did already shuffle around on me once and had to have a speaker replaced (blown and rattling in driver door) at 400 miles. Once you get used to exercising patience, it gets better!

NothEastTahoe

Reaction score
FWIW, I would prefer to have the old one...but...alas, progress.

On the UP side, you get google maps instead of an SD Card based map that you have to pay to update, so the maps are always the latest.
On the DOWN side, you have to pay monthly for the data plan and you have the buggy google based infotainment...
monthly data? Your onstar do you mean? Otherwise I don't think there is a monthly fee to use the car. Just connect your carplay/android auto and you have the same thing free anyways.

I find this system to be pretty good, smoother than most OEM set ups, but that's probably because computer company built it. I do find it annoying how often it tries to make me login to something I turned off and disabled (EVERY time I turn the car on). And I do hate that it is so intrusive and that ruins part of my enjoyment of the car. At my first service I am going to get them to turn off anything that could prompt me.

djsassan

Reaction score
Mine is very slow to connect to my phone, i.e. it will take up to 4-5 mins to reflect my contact favorites. I downloaded Waze, but it only runs in km, not miles and I cannot find a damn place to change this. I miss the layout of the previous screens.

That said, it is the latest and greatest. The maps being current is worth it in itself.

Jeff Wedge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks.
New ‘23 Tahoe owner and I don’t like the way Google “dominates” the map and other functions. I am an iPhone user. 1st time set-up, I engaged with the Google OS but then found it confusing and/or difficult to utilize my Apple apps including maps. Then reset to factory defaults and did not enter any information for Google. Still a little wonky. In my previous vehicle Apple CarPlay popped up and it was effortless. I suspect I may learn to utilize the Google OS without it taking over and dominating.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks.
Of course it's boring, it's Google. I don't use anything Google on my new Tahoe. I use Apple CarPlay with iPhone. Very fast, very modern. Very nice. As I move from different vehicles. Apple CarPlay picks up right where it left off. Everything is EXACTLY the same from vehicle to vehicle. I find Apple Maps or Waze to be vastly superior to Google maps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman