2023 At4 Yukon coming from 2020 ford explorerr

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bertnernee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
New here and newish to gmc. I currently have a 2020 Ford explorer st. Husband has a 2018 1500 Chevy w/5.3l. We are looking at trading the explorer on 2023 Yukon at4 with the 6.2l. I’m sick of all the electrical issues with ford, there’s no long term fix as of now. I keep seeing issues with the 6.2l but I’m afraid going from the ST to a 5.3l will be a snail. I’ve drove hubs truck many times when it was stock and hated how slow it was. Probably sounds dumb but I don’t want a snail. But I’m also afraid of the issues I’m reading about with the 6.2. Any advice?

Eusibius2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my Z71 6.2L. Definitely not a snail, but it's a heavy truck nonetheless, so it'll never be a rocket. I've got 11k miles on it, and have only had very minor problems - nothing to turn me away. Most of the bad you're hearing is in the minority of all these models. Just my 2c.

I test drove the 5.3L and didn't think it was sluggish at all. Again, just my 2c, and your milage may vary.

OP
OP
B

Bertnernee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I love my Z71 6.2L. Definitely not a snail, but it's a heavy truck nonetheless, so it'll never be a rocket. I've got 11k miles on it, and have only had very minor problems - nothing to turn me away. Most of the bad you're hearing is in the minority of all these models. Just my 2c.

I test drove the 5.3L and didn't think it was sluggish at all. Again, just my 2c, and your milage may vary.
Thanks for your thoughts. I’m hoping for the best with issues. Just seems it’s all I’m hearing about. It’s a little nerve-racking to be spending 80k and worry about longevity

_hollingsworth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
New here and newish to gmc. I currently have a 2020 Ford explorer st. Husband has a 2018 1500 Chevy w/5.3l. We are looking at trading the explorer on 2023 Yukon at4 with the 6.2l. I’m sick of all the electrical issues with ford, there’s no long term fix as of now. I keep seeing issues with the 6.2l but I’m afraid going from the ST to a 5.3l will be a snail. I’ve drove hubs truck many times when it was stock and hated how slow it was. Probably sounds dumb but I don’t want a snail. But I’m also afraid of the issues I’m reading about with the 6.2. Any advice?
I think it would be worth looking at the baby duramax as well. Many good reviews on youtube of people driving it and I haven't seen a single video that said they didn't like it. Don't have to worry about the rod/injector issues if you have the diesel under the hood!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bertnernee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think it would be worth looking at the baby drama as well. Many good reviews on youtube of people driving it and I haven't seen a single video that said they didn't like it. Don't have to worry about the rod/injector issues if you have the diesel under the hood!
I actually had a 21 Yukon diesel for a rental while my ford was in the shop. I didn’t mind it too much. Except the whole Def thing. Not something I want to deal with to be honest.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I would not worry about it too much. If it blows, it'll be under warranty and eventually get fixed. Better than an exploder anyway! Use high octane gasoline, the proper oil and don't leave it in too long and she should give you many years of trouble free service.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

I love my 6.2, and I would not trade it for anything. The last person (of many) who approached me wanting to buy my truck when I ultimately want to sell it, and I told him not to hold his breath.

Pertzbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the 10speed helps the 5.3L not be such a slug.

I have the 395HP 5.7L hemi w/8speed in a truck and its light years more powerful than my moms 18' 5.3L w/6peed.

Wife's 23' w/ 5.3l and the 10 speed doesnt seem too bad, but i havnt hit the hammer on it yet either.

OP
OP
B

Bertnernee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would not worry about it too much. If it blows, it'll be under warranty and eventually get fixed. Better than an exploder anyway! Use high octane gasoline, the proper oil and don't leave it in too long and she should give you many years of trouble free service.
Thanks. Our dealer offers 200k warranty as long as it’s serviced through them. So how the heck do you beat that?! We ordered a 2023 Yukon at4. Hoping it works out. Our dealer said they do a very high volume and haven’t had any issues getting vehicles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu