2022 Tahoe order process

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattadam24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey there, new on this particular forum but that’s because my wife and I recently placed an order for a 2022 Tahoe z71!

Anyways, a couple questions/concerns?

We placed (or supposedly placed) our order for the Tahoe in November of 2021. A few months passed so I wanted to check in on the order status. I email my salesman at the dealership on February 4th 2022 asking for a copy of the build/order number/etc. He then emails me a generic build of a z71 with the packages we picked however the wrong exterior color. He states he was busy and just did that one quickly at his desk and our actual order was the correct color. Still did not provide me with a order number.

In March, I call the dealer and ask for the order manager and ask for my order number which he provided to me right away. With that I go to the Chevy chat and check the order status there. They say that my order was submitted by the dealer but not accepted by GM for production. I know everything is delayed and constrained and all but Chevy chat stated my order was not submitted by the dealer until 2/4/2022.

So my question is, when you order a vehicle at the dealership.. do they put the order into GM that day or is it possible it takes ~3 months to just put the order in.

Or did they just forget to put our order in and when I reached out on February 4th they just put it in?

Thanks in advance for any feedback and answers!

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
Each dealer is allocated a specific number of cars that they'll get in their allotment. I've heard allocations are given weekly to some dealers -others it can take months to get an allotment - depends on how big the dealer is and what they typically sell. In the allocation the dealer is assigned a specific number of each car by trim. For ie: One week they may only get allocated 4 Tahoes - one LT, 2 RSTs & 1 High Country (these are assigned by GM). If you are building a car, then you would be part of a future allocation they will be given when that trim is part of their allocation. In this example if you ordered a LS, they cannot submit your order because they were not allocated one. Now if their next allocation had a LS and no one was ahead of you in orders, they would likely place your order in that allocation.

Now if you placed your order in November and it wasn't sent by the dealer to GM by February, it is likely because of one of many reasons.

1. there were a lot of people ahead of you who ordered cars before you and they do not have the capacity to assign those orders to future allocations quickly. this is common and a dealer will reluctantly let you know this
2. something that you included is on constraint list, where GM is not accepting orders if your car had this included in your order. In this case the dealer didn't bother to send in your order because it was not going to be accepted.
3. they just don't get a lot of allotments in general so they couldn’t submit you order until now
4. someone ordered a car after you but they were willing to pay more over MSRP...so they jumped you on the line in the order process

I will say - my dealer is reluctant to provide me any info and I already have a TPW. Like they legit tell me sorry we have no updates as soon as I call. They still tell me my order isn’t even accepted yet.

Some dealers give you updates along the way.

I’d pester chevy chat and even call them every week asking for updates Regardless of what the dealer tells you. Eventually your order will be accepted. That is out of your dealers control. Half the battle is getting the order submitted.

OP
OP
M

Mattadam24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Each dealer is allocated a specific number of cars that they'll get in their allotment. I've heard allocations are given weekly to some dealers -others it can take months to get an allotment - depends on how big the dealer is and what they typically sell. In the allocation the dealer is assigned a specific number of each car by trim. For ie: One week they may only get allocated 4 Tahoes - one LT, 2 RSTs & 1 High Country (these are assigned by GM). If you are building a car, then you would be part of a future allocation they will be given when that trim is part of their allocation. In this example if you ordered a LS, they cannot submit your order because they were not allocated one. Now if their next allocation had a LS and no one was ahead of you in orders, they would likely place your order in that allocation.

Now if you placed your order in November and it wasn't sent by the dealer to GM by February, it is likely because of one of many reasons.

1. there were a lot of people ahead of you who ordered cars before you and they do not have the capacity to assign those orders to future allocations quickly. this is common and a dealer will reluctantly let you know this
2. something that you included is on constraint list, where GM is not accepting orders if your car had this included in your order. In this case the dealer didn't bother to send in your order because it was not going to be accepted.
3. they just don't get a lot of allotments in general so they couldn’t submit you order until now
4. someone ordered a car after you but they were willing to pay more over MSRP...so they jumped you on the line in the order process

I will say - my dealer is reluctant to provide me any info and I already have a TPW. Like they legit tell me sorry we have no updates as soon as I call. They still tell me my order isn’t even accepted yet.

Some dealers give you updates along the way.

I’d pester chevy chat and even call them every week asking for updates Regardless of what the dealer tells you. Eventually your order will be accepted. That is out of your dealers control. Half the battle is getting the order submitted.
I appreciate the response and explanation.

My dealership is the same way and will not provide any updates and only tell me that there are no updates.

What’s suspicious to me is that I reached out 2/4/22 to my dealership about the order status as I have the texts with my salesman and the Chevy chat told us the order was placed on exactly that date. Either a freak coincidence or they forgot to place the order originally in November when I reached out to them to do so.

drmoose

Reaction score
i am sure there are others who know better, but i would tend to agree with your suspicions. I think a dealer can place an order, but the order will sit at "1100" (submitted but not accepted) until they have an allocation for your order, and your order is not constrained.

I suppose it is possible that the dealer will simply wait until they have allocation for your build before they submit, but I can't really understand why they would do that.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
I appreciate the response and explanation.

My dealership is the same way and will not provide any updates and only tell me that there are no updates.

What’s suspicious to me is that I reached out 2/4/22 to my dealership about the order status as I have the texts with my salesman and the Chevy chat told us the order was placed on exactly that date. Either a freak coincidence or they forgot to place the order originally in November when I reached out to them to do so.

I mean, it is possible. What did they tell you initially when you ordered the car in terms of time frames?

Also, did you happen to follow up anytime before February?

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep - sounds like it was either never actually ordered (the first step) or even worse - it was ordered and sold out from under you.

In your first post says that it was submitted but not accepted by GM - so that means 2/4 was when it was first entered.

Agree that they may have just been waiting on an allocation to enter it - but that doesn't give you any confidence that they won't pass on your build

Not ideal - but my recommendation would be to place an order at a couple dealers if you have a few options to choose from - maybe one from a bigger city and then one from a rural dealership. As long as the pricing is competitive and they aren't charging a ridiculous deposit.

While contacting various random dealers, I've had a couple of them contact me back weeks later saying they now have an allocation for a similar trim level (ordering a Z71 - one dealer said they had an AT4 allocation almost a month after i contacted them) or they in transit sold units become available.

OP
OP
M

Mattadam24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I mean, it is possible. What did they tell you initially when you ordered the car in terms of time frames?

Also, did you happen to follow up anytime before February?
They said around 6 months which is average I believe. And nope, February was the first time we reached out to see thinking it was 3 month since we placed the order.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
They said around 6 months which is average I believe. And nope, February was the first time we reached out to see thinking it was 3 month since we placed the order.

That’s a long time frame, most places told me 3 months that can stretch as long as 6 months. My guess is they didn’t want to tell you there was a long list of orders ahead of you. I mean, it’s not ideal but your only other option would have been to go to another dealer and put in another order.

Rradford45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer put my order in on 1/25 and we had an order number that day. He even emailed the order. He did us when we ordered it could be 8-12 weeks. We are on week 8 and we got accepted by GM last week. No TPW as of today. My salesman would tell me when I asked how many were in front of me.

stevenmcdonald256

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ordered yesterday and it’s just a plain LS four-wheel-drive. The order manager told me since it was a low option vehicle I’d probably go right to the front of the line with his next allotment. He said this day these days it comes down to what they can build due to the chip shortage and parts availability. They want to sell the most amount of vehicles and so the ones that they can build the fastest get produce first

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick