2022 RSE Rear Seat Entertainment Setup Without Internet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edlee321

Reaction score
My wife very upset about this rear entertainment, I tried doing the firestick and chromecast, but during carpools kids keep banging into the screen thinking it should be touch screen content, my wife said its ruining her mornings and she wants to just remove the screen, I have to see if I can disassemble this whole thing hopefully.

I chalk this all up to Google Automotive not ready for prime time. I really am not enjoying my first month with this truck
I'm going to place am order for Mercedes GLS450 tomorrow, hopefully it will only take 3 months for delivery.

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2021, set up with hdmi roku stick using the unlimited data plan for a year, $200. If you could access from the front screen while parked the system would be great. That’s my only complaint

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife very upset about this rear entertainment, I tried doing the firestick and chromecast, but during carpools kids keep banging into the screen thinking it should be touch screen content, my wife said its ruining her mornings and she wants to just remove the screen, I have to see if I can disassemble this whole thing hopefully.

I chalk this all up to Google Automotive not ready for prime time. I really am not enjoying my first month with this truck
I'm going to place am order for Mercedes GLS450 tomorrow, hopefully it will only take 3 months for delivery.
Ironically we went the opposite way, traded a 2019 GLS63 for the Yukon. GLS was nice but not big enough.

Edlee321

Reaction score
I have a 2021, set up with hdmi roku stick using the unlimited data plan for a year, $200. If you could access from the front screen while parked the system would be great. That’s my only complaint
Yes, this is a big complaint, how can I control the content if I can't see it

Edlee321

Reaction score
Ironically we went the opposite way, traded a 2019 GLS63 for the Yukon. GLS was nice but not big enough.
I believe the new body style of GLS that came out for 2021 is longer, it's definitely not as big as a Yukon, but I dont mind it.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning on going the roku route as well. Thankfully my kids are old enough to operate the remote themselves and even if someone didn't have the in car data plan (we do) couldn't you just hotspot from your phone to give the roku internet? It's really dumb this day and age to have to plug something in to the vehicle but I only plan to let the kids use this setup on longer trips so shouldn't be that big of a deal. They will not sit and stare at screens every time we are in the car, they can stare out the window

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning on going the roku route as well. Thankfully my kids are old enough to operate the remote themselves and even if someone didn't have the in car data plan (we do) couldn't you just hotspot from your phone to give the roku internet? It's really dumb this day and age to have to plug something in to the vehicle but I only plan to let the kids use this setup on longer trips so shouldn't be that big of a deal. They will not sit and stare at screens every time we are in the car, they can stare out the window
Yes, hot spot from the phone works, just connect the Roku(s) to the phones hotspot Wi-Fi. One minor PITA though is that the Roku won’t automatically remember the hotspot Wi-Fi when you turn them on/off. You have to reconnect them each time but they do save the passwords so you just click OK and it reconnects, don’t have to reconnect. Mot sure if that would be true if you power the Rokus from the USB C ports but that’s how it works for me and I am powering from a 120v 2 port wall brick charger plugged in at the bottom of the console which leaves the USB C ports free to charge phones for back seat passengers. If I was to do it again, I would just buy 2 android tablets vs Rokus that can Miracast to the screens, I think that gives better flexibility, they can use the tablets as tablets, cast to the screens, have navigation showing on the screens while using the tablets, use the tablets in the third row, etc. Cant Miracast from Fire tablets or from Apple IPads though, has to be Android like a Samsung S7 or A7.

itsmike2k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm still in complete disappointment that GM removed the option of streaming from a hard drive.. Literally the "touch Screen" is useless, only options are select HDMI1 or 2 and turn on/off the screens?!?!!?!? This makes no sense whatsoever!! How has everyone opened a claim to get their $$ back on these??? I'm also disappointed that you cant watch anything on the front screen when your parked, again a big step back from the 2017 I traded in!!

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just spent 10 hours on the road over Christmas and I set up a $20 roku premier (tucked into the seat pocket behind passenger seat) and hooked up the Nintendo Switch (sat on the floor right behind center console) for the kids and it worked out really well. Ugly wires running all over the place but it wasn't really an issue for anyone. Not clean or ideal by any means but it did keep the peace amongst the kids. So the RSE isn't a total waste of money, but it's certainly not a great product

itsmike2k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yea i also have a fire stick, just can't believe i spent 2k on a Entertaiment system that is useless without a streaming dongle.. GM should have left the DVD player or the USB option if they couldn't keep the apps.. Not sure how firestick can be android with all the options but GM cant figure out how to have apps.. Isn't there anyway to jailbreak/sideload the system with apps like the firestick?? I loved having a hard drive with movies in my 17..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues