2022 RSE Rear Seat Entertainment Setup Without Internet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ItIsWhatItIs

Reaction score
Ok got my first batch of parts in to try and make this system worth it for our family and my consensus is… until we get some apps this system is a complete waste of money, at least if your an Apple heavy family in my opinion.

First I tried using the HDMI AV Adaptor for iPad/iPhone which does work for your downloaded content. However Apple will not let you view the content on your device and push through the adaptor at the same time so my idea for mounting an iPad on the second row headrest for my oldest to control/watch and push to the RSE simultaneously so all 3 kids could watch doesn’t work. Also, it looks like HDCP protocols and have now made it so that you cannot push most streams (mainly Disney+ in our case) through the adaptor. So iTunes purchased content only basically.

Second I hooked up our travel AppleTV to see what the possibility of Airplay would be. It does work, but seemed like it was overloading the bandwidth capabilities of the Tahoe. It worked but the sound and video were off on all devices by several seconds as well as lagging, distorted/cracking sound, and grainy picture.

I may still try the Firestick because that looks like the cleanest/simplest setup for streaming at the moment.

Conclusion, if you an Apple heavy family I would just forgo the RSE and buy cellular iPads and head rest mounts and call it a day.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about using the AppleTV to stream content, by installing Hulu/Netflix/PrimeVideo/AppleTV+/Disney+/ESPN, etc...net, install apps on the apple TV (likely at home before hand), connect the AppleTV to the HDMI and the Truck WiFI, or a Cell Phone Hotspot, and stream from the native ATV to the RSE?

Down side is it requires using the 120V outlet, which kicks off when you AutoStop. FireStick or Roku probably better as it can run off USB power.

EDIT: NVM, I am an idiot, post title is "....Without Internet" (emphasis mine). Disregard my prior transmission...

chris80

Reaction score
well I just got a check from GM for a car payment, 1300 not 2k but better then nothing.. Crazy they only offered 500 worth of aftermarket GM gift cards or a "reimbursed" car payment..

anyway, anyone figured out the best setup without internet?? I have unlimited data but on road trips run into a lot of areas that don't have cell service and would still like a option of streaming movies, since DVD play is gone!!
How did you go about obtaining restitution? Did they provide information about if there plans for a future system update?

itsmike2k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They had no info on future updates, but said they think they will come.. The steps i took was putting a complaint in with the BBS and GM contacted me shortly after.. the lady i talked to, Wanda, was very helpful and i just had to take the car to GM Service to make sure the system was functioning properly.. after that she came back with a offer of a reimbursed car payment or 500 in GM giftcards.. I had to email proof of car payment and a month or so later received the check.. This was before HULU was on the RSE though, but one of my big complaints is no streaming from HD which is still not avalible!

Shawdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m considering buying a cheap android tablet to run streaming apps and miracast. Has anyone tried that yet? I don’t really want to deal with the wires, remote, and stuff from a regular streaming device
I’m considering the same thing. Did this work? What tablet did you buy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972