2022 RSE Rear Seat Entertainment Setup Without Internet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chackakori

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Keeping in mind that in the 2022's HDMI is the only connection option and that I don't have unlimited data, what's the best way to make use of the RSE to play videos?
I'm in Canada and the OnStar data plans are a joke here with no unlimited data option. We are looking at 5GB for $35/month. I feel like with the new system they are trying to push customers to subscribe to a data plan but in Canada we don't have unlimited data making it cost prohibitive to use a streaming device.
Can an iPhone screenshare to the screens with Chromecast? Do any of the streaming sticks have a USB input for connecting a USB stick with videos? I know I could connect an external DVD player, gaming system, or laptop but ideally I would like to keep it simpler than that.
Also with the streaming sticks, can you control them with the screens? Without USB support is there anything now that you can control from the touch screens?

RIZE_UP

Reaction score
Keeping in mind that in the 2022's HDMI is the only connection option and that I don't have unlimited data, what's the best way to make use of the RSE to play videos?
I'm in Canada and the OnStar data plans are a joke here with no unlimited data option. We are looking at 5GB for $35/month. I feel like with the new system they are trying to push customers to subscribe to a data plan but in Canada we don't have unlimited data making it cost prohibitive to use a streaming device.
Can an iPhone screenshare to the screens with Chromecast? Do any of the streaming sticks have a USB input for connecting a USB stick with videos? I know I could connect an external DVD player, gaming system, or laptop but ideally I would like to keep it simpler than that.
Also with the streaming sticks, can you control them with the screens? Without USB support is there anything now that you can control from the touch screens?
Chackakori
I have tried chromecast with Google TV, Firestick, Microsoft Wireless Display adapter, and raspberry PI4. RSE touchscreen does not control any of them... like you said, without USB support, touchscreens are pointless, other than selecting your Bluetooth headphones or brightness. I am feeling kinda screwed out of $1995 option... The false advertisement of GM and deceptive trade practices they are conducting with this option in 2022, makes me want my money back. Or atleast they should only be charging a 1/3 of price for what you get.

Edlee321

Reaction score
We need to start a class action lawsuit, I would never gotten this feature if I could not control the content from the front end system, why would a 2022 remove features that a 2021 model year had?

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its called a chip shortage. The lawsuit should be about the customer not being able to remove the RSE and the shrapnel hazard during a crash. The monitors and the entire system for that matter are a very expensive coat hanger but I was just as guilty for purchasing a Model that had it installed. This system although not wanted or used by me could be stomached if I could remove the monitors , brackets and tape off the wiring…the monitors and brackets would just be in a safe location until trade in.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its called a chip shortage. The lawsuit should be about the customer not being able to remove the RSE and the shrapnel hazard during a crash. The monitors and the entire system for that matter are a very expensive coat hanger but I was just as guilty for purchasing a Model that had it installed. This system although not wanted or used by me could be stomached if I could remove the monitors , brackets and tape off the wiring…the monitors and brackets would just be in a safe location until trade in.
Not sure they can pin this on the chip shortage. These screens should have been preloaded with content --- apparently there are some '22s in the wild that way (links to dealer demos have been posted in the other threads). Look at the similar screens in the Wagoneer with Amazon Fire TV pre-loaded -- perfect solution, nothing to plug in and run wires for.

therealbofa

Reaction score
I’m considering buying a cheap android tablet to run streaming apps and miracast. Has anyone tried that yet? I don’t really want to deal with the wires, remote, and stuff from a regular streaming device

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of the few cases where 21's have a real advantage. I can view USB loaded content. Stream with sticks and cast my apple device to the screen. Like AA or ACP, they (GOOGLE) want to dominate how you use your products with their products... I wouldn't pay extra for the 22 RSE setup...

Edlee321

Reaction score
I ordered my truck in August, I had no idea of this issue when I picked it up, GMC's own main RES website guide still shows the old '21 system, this is bait and switch. We all need to make calls to Chevy, GMC and Cadillac and open support tickets

Chevrolet customer service 800-222-1020

GMC Customer service 800-462-8782

Cadillac Customer service 800-333-4223

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so nobody downloads stuff to a usb drive anymore? hmm... I have nearly a terrabyte of movies & tv shows

Edlee321

Reaction score
I have 32TB of content of shows and movies, streaming them is not an option, we need local USB playback.