2021 Yukon vs. Tahoe (Coming from a 2011 Acadia)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uptown_nyc

Reaction score
Looking to replace our 2011 Acadia which has served us well, but is starting to show its age. Honestly, we might have considered another Acadia has they not shrunk its size, but the new models are too small.

Both the 2021 Yukon and 2021 Tahoe seem like likely replacements so I've been researching both. Having never owned a Chevy, I'm curious about some of what I've found in my research. Most of what I've read seems to indicate that Chevy has a higher reliability rating than GMC. Is that really the case? It's surprising to me, since we've had virtually no issues with our GMC. Of course - model redesign years are difficult to predict reliability-wise, but is there a notable reliability discrepancy between GMC and Chevy?

Though I like the appearance of the Yukon more, it seems like the Tahoe provides better granularity in model configuration, at a better price. I'm trying to best under what I'd be giving up if I go with a 2021 Tahoe instead of the Yukon.

The primary use of the vehicle will be as a family-mover bringing adults, kids and dogs to all the places that adults, kids and dogs need to go, along with some occasional longer trips. Not much towing needed, though I'm strongly considering getting the towing package. We'd added an aftermarket hitch to our Acadia to satisfy bike racks and other hitch-mounted racks, but I'll probably opt for the factory installed equipment this time.

I'm also hoping that these models have the capacity for a full sheet of plywood. Anyone tested that out with the 2021's? Our Acadia never had the depth to hold that without the lift-gate opened. Doable, but not ideal.

Any other advice for a potential buyer coming from an Acadia?

Thanks!

MJenn76

Reaction score
Looking to replace our 2011 Acadia which has served us well, but is starting to show its age. Honestly, we might have considered another Acadia has they not shrunk its size, but the new models are too small.

Both the 2021 Yukon and 2021 Tahoe seem like likely replacements so I've been researching both. Having never owned a Chevy, I'm curious about some of what I've found in my research. Most of what I've read seems to indicate that Chevy has a higher reliability rating than GMC. Is that really the case? It's surprising to me, since we've had virtually no issues with our GMC. Of course - model redesign years are difficult to predict reliability-wise, but is there a notable reliability discrepancy between GMC and Chevy?

Though I like the appearance of the Yukon more, it seems like the Tahoe provides better granularity in model configuration, at a better price. I'm trying to best under what I'd be giving up if I go with a 2021 Tahoe instead of the Yukon.

The primary use of the vehicle will be as a family-mover bringing adults, kids and dogs to all the places that adults, kids and dogs need to go, along with some occasional longer trips. Not much towing needed, though I'm strongly considering getting the towing package. We'd added an aftermarket hitch to our Acadia to satisfy bike racks and other hitch-mounted racks, but I'll probably opt for the factory installed equipment this time.

I'm also hoping that these models have the capacity for a full sheet of plywood. Anyone tested that out with the 2021's? Our Acadia never had the depth to hold that without the lift-gate opened. Doable, but not ideal.

Any other advice for a potential buyer coming from an Acadia?

Thanks!
IMO its all about personal preference, style features, brand and budget. The Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade are essentially built on the same chasis, engine etc. Produced at the same plant, on the same line using similar parts. Effiency in production. Works the same for Silverado vs Sierra or Acadia vs Equinox vs Buick Enclave. The bells and whistles make the difference. Traditionally, a fully loaded Chevy equals a moderately equipped GMC equals a base Cadillac.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt that either the Yukon or Tahoe will fit a sheet of plywood, without having the rear door open. I say that because my Yukon XL (or Suburban for Chevy) will barely hold a sheet of plywood flat. But, I have not personally measured the clearance dimensions on a 2021 model.

Dave Mathews

Reaction score
I doubt that either the Yukon or Tahoe will fit a sheet of plywood, without having the rear door open. I say that because my Yukon XL (or Suburban for Chevy) will barely hold a sheet of plywood flat. But, I have not personally measured the clearance dimensions on a 2021 model.
It’s 6 “ longer than last version `

OP
OP
U

uptown_nyc

Reaction score
Yes, it is, but I still have my doubts.

Always seemed weird to me that basic dimensions like these aren't widely available for all vehicles. Basically, what's the footprint of what you can fit in the cargo area? I realize we get the cubic space available - but that seems less useful than true width/height/depth measurements. Anyway, not a deal-breaker for me either way -- but guess I'll be bringing a tape-measure to the dealer to satisfy my curiosity at some point.

OP
OP
U

uptown_nyc

Reaction score
The Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade are essentially built on the same chasis, engine etc. Produced at the same plant, on the same line using similar parts.

Understood. I guess that's why I don't understand why reviews would provide vastly different reliability ratings for the two models. Is this just an uninformed reviewer or is there something I'm missing?
Source: [1] [2]

compare.jpg

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understood. I guess that's why I don't understand why reviews would provide vastly different reliability ratings for the two models. Is this just an uninformed reviewer or is there something I'm missing?

View attachment 266889

LOL! I guess the Yukon has extremely unreliable fog lights, since that's really the only option not on a Tahoe!

MJenn76

Reaction score

View attachment 266889
In my next career I was going to be a weather man. Predicting the weather. Be wrong 50% of the time and keep my job. Guess now I can expand to automotive reviews lmao... wonder what they said about the Escalade

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Robert in CA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The cargo bay in the 2021 Tahoe is 49.5" wide and 90" long from the center console to the rear door. Rear door has a bit of an arc to it, so realistically you'll fit a 48x89" sheet of material with the door closed.

Whenever I grab 8 ft long wood (2x4, 2x6, 2x8 - nothing too heavy), I get them on top of the center console and they hang over about 6" (with a piece of cardboard under to protect the console).

I downsized from a Yukon XL to Tahoe Z71 and haven't looked back once. I love the smaller size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645