2021 Yukon Denali XL 22s or 24s. Please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Melmills

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all. Just got my new 2021 Denali Xl diesel 4wd yesterday and it’s already in the shop for a chrome delete. My dream car is attached. The rims that I want are 24 inch koko kuture kapans. This brand/model does not come in a 22 inch 6 lug for my Yukon. I absolutely love the look of the 24s and am now hearing conflicting information from various people in the industry.
To start, I live in Orange County, California, where roads are almost meticulous and pot-holes are extremely rare. I would use this car as a daily driver, but maybe drive 10 miles a day. Once or twice a year, we would drive to the mountains (hence the purchase of the 4wd) and I would have the new rims swapped for the stock 20s for the time period when we are in the mountains.
So here’s my dilemma:
The tire guys says that switching them out is no problem. Recommends getting sensors on all tires (stock and new) and also recommends getting a tire with more rubber, so a 305-40-24, which only 3 companies make (landsail, toyo, Yokohama). Would the additional rubber on a 24 cause rubbing? I heard the new 2021s have a bigger fender opening (sorry if that’s not the technical term, I’m a rookie). Would the additional rubber look weird, or still look good? Would the additional rubber give more protection against potholes, etc? Would I still be at the same risk of bent rims? (The rim manufacturer gives a 5 year warranty against bends, so my tire guy says) Smoother ride? Overall, would you guys recommend the tires with the additional rubber? Would I be making a mistake by getting 24s and enjoying the aesthetics but setting myself up for issues? Should I just get 22s in a different rim and call it a day? My husband will lose his **** if I get 24s and have issues causing monetary loss (despite a pricey car, we saved and saved and saved to get this car and can’t really afford monetary problems). Hence, why the tire guy is recommending the tire with additional rubber. Says it will have as much rubber as a oem 22 and won’t have any issues.
Please help me. F1DBF188-55DE-47F3-9B94-946B65CAB6B6.jpeg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Just got my new 2021 Denali Xl diesel 4wd yesterday and it’s already in the shop for a chrome delete. My dream car is attached. The rims that I want are 24 inch koko kuture kapans. This brand/model does not come in a 22 inch 6 lug for my Yukon. I absolutely love the look of the 24s and am now hearing conflicting information from various people in the industry.
To start, I live in Orange County, California, where roads are almost meticulous and pot-holes are extremely rare. I would use this car as a daily driver, but maybe drive 10 miles a day. Once or twice a year, we would drive to the mountains (hence the purchase of the 4wd) and I would have the new rims swapped for the stock 20s for the time period when we are in the mountains.
So here’s my dilemma:
The tire guys says that switching them out is no problem. Recommends getting sensors on all tires (stock and new) and also recommends getting a tire with more rubber, so a 305-40-24, which only 3 companies make (landsail, toyo, Yokohama). Would the additional rubber on a 24 cause rubbing? I heard the new 2021s have a bigger fender opening (sorry if that’s not the technical term, I’m a rookie). Would the additional rubber look weird, or still look good? Would the additional rubber give more protection against potholes, etc? Would I still be at the same risk of bent rims? (The rim manufacturer gives a 5 year warranty against bends, so my tire guy says) Smoother ride? Overall, would you guys recommend the tires with the additional rubber? Would I be making a mistake by getting 24s and enjoying the aesthetics but setting myself up for issues? Should I just get 22s in a different rim and call it a day? My husband will lose his **** if I get 24s and have issues causing monetary loss (despite a pricey car, we saved and saved and saved to get this car and can’t really afford monetary problems). Hence, why the tire guy is recommending the tire with additional rubber. Says it will have as much rubber as a oem 22 and won’t have any issues.
Please help me. View attachment 349296
It's really a personal choice, if you don't mind getting new tires more often, a stiffer ride and curb rash, go for the 24s. The taller tire will throw off the speedometer/odometer some too.

You can always ask them to mount a tire up front and put the truck down on its suspension and turn the wheel making sure it doesn't rub or just a little to your satisfaction.

Truck looks awesome! If it were mine, I would keep the 22 inch wheel size.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would leave it as it sits.. Looks sexy as is.

Then you arent dealing with 2 sets of rims (storage, age of tires), having to get the TPMS reprogrammed every time you swap wheels, and the cost of those wheels and tires. Not to mention the before mentioned throwing the speedometer, and odometer, off.

GAblacklightening

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So here’s my dilemma:
Please help me. View attachment 349296

I am wanting the same rim but in silver and tire setup. Any regrets? Do you have any scrubbing issues?

JohnnyFamous

Reaction score
buy what you want, or regret it later. There will be no issues with the 24. no need for the extra tire size, would stick with the 285/40/24.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would leave it as it sits.. Looks sexy as is.

Then you arent dealing with 2 sets of rims (storage, age of tires), having to get the TPMS reprogrammed every time you swap wheels, and the cost of those wheels and tires. Not to mention the before mentioned throwing the speedometer, and odometer, off.

I am wanting the same rim but in silver and tire setup. Any regrets? Do you have any scrubbing issues?
This isnt her vehicle…its a pic of what she is after….

To the op i would go with 24’s if that is the look and size you are after. The size tire you are wanting is not much taller or wider than the oem tire…just may fit with no trimming or issues at all. I know for a fact a 305/45/22 fits just fine with room for a little more, which is just a touch shorter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157