2021 Tahoe with 6k miles mine has already had a head off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red2021RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is this a systemic problem based on the vehicle assembly date? My 2021 was built in February 2021 (per the build sheet), took delivery in March. Are they still delivering engines with this issue? I'm wondering how worried I need to be.

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM is going to POT. Can't believe all the engine problems, does it seem to be mainly in trucks/SUV's?

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a systemic problem based on the vehicle assembly date? My 2021 was built in February 2021 (per the build sheet), took delivery in March. Are they still delivering engines with this issue? I'm wondering how worried I need to be.
5.3, 6.2 and 6.6 engines built from June 1, 2020, to October 7, 2020, only. During that time the supplier was using an incorrect parameter for the valve spring. Most springs fell within the correct specification. But some did not. As a result, this issue will not affect all engines built during that period.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Collapsed lifter and a bent pushrod. They took off the passenger side head to inspect, replaced the lifters. Not feeling really confident with this vehicle. I have a 2010 Tahoe i bought new with 242k miles and the only thing every replaced on the engine has been the spark plugs. My 2001 Tahoe I got new also never had any engine issues in the 120k I put on it.
I see the future of a giant money pit

Tomrich

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any further information out about the Engine build date range on this issue? My ‘21 Tahoe had same issue and was built in 1/21. Sort of same problem - cylinder 7 had the issue and they replaced the entire bank lifters and lifter guide. Wondering if build dates have crept in 2021 as well.

2021 Tahoe
Approx 3,000mi

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if the are checking the lifter bore before installing new lifters?? Do you think the dealerships go that in-depth are just replace the lifters? I found an interesting video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
robgreg75

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Met a guy last weekend with the same Tahoe as mine, gray Z71, he too had lifter issues at 9k miles. It seems to be an industry wide thing, even the aftermarket suppliers are getting the lifters from the same company.

OP
OP
robgreg75

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Met a guy last weekend with the same Tahoe as mine, gray Z71, he too had lifter issues at 9k miles. It seems to be an industry wide thing, even the aftermarket suppliers are getting the lifters from the same company.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if the are checking the lifter bore before installing new lifters?? Do you think the dealerships go that in-depth are just replace the lifters? I found an interesting video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we have a different system as the engine can go from 2 to 8 cylinders, and anything in between as commanded by the engine management computer.

Camaro1983

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2021 z71 here. 4k miles and just had my lifters changed as well. the dealer fixed it in two days but now the check engine light is on, service traction control light is on, and its missing bad. Sick of this. These are brand new. We should not be having these problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14