2021 Tahoe crank-no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2021 Tahoe Z71 after just being in the dealership for a month due to a software error now has another issue. Yesterday it just all of a sudden wont' start. The engine cranks but it won't turn over. Any ideas?

Of course this is after I put it in the garage literally to move it out of the way for a few minutes. Now its going to have to be drug out by a tow truck I guess because the f-ing geniuses at Chevy didn't give you a way to put these pos vehicles in Neutral without the engine running.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your woes. To be clear, the definition of "crank" is that it turns over. What yours seems to have is a "crank - no start."

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Is likely gonna have something to do with software update that just took place. But who knows. Need 4 things for the engine to start and run. Spark, fuel, compression and air. IMO, you also need the engine to be in time and that software update can be messing with that. You did not say what issue the vehicle was having that caused the need for the software update. Frustration, yes. Ask for a loaner vehicle and hopefully you have been keeping all documentation in case a lemon law case is needed. Is this problem and the software update the only problems?

By the way, @Fless is correct, as usual. When describing the problem it is important to have the correct terminology. No crank means engine not spinning or turning over and is a no crank/no start. If cranks and the engine will not fire off and run, that is a no start. That is a crank and no start. Several different scenarios enter in to the equation depending on the correct explanation.

OP
OP
Donnation

Donnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your woes. To be clear, the definition of "crank" is that it turns over. What yours seems to have is a "crank - no start."

Hmm, I said in the title the vehicle cranks but won't start. Doesn't that imply crank-no start? Just asking as it seems pretty clear to me. The engine is cranking but it won't turn over.

Semantics I guess, thank you for the proper terminology. Doesn't change the fact that this vehicle sucks.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s been a few members that have had similar symptoms and it turned out to be the fuel pump control module. It’s mounted mid-frame, drivers side. There was a recall for some 2021s for this issue, but I don’t believe they captured them all because I’ve seen 2022s with the exact same failure.

OP
OP
Donnation

Donnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s been a few members that have had similar symptoms and it turned out to be the fuel pump control module. It’s mounted mid-frame, drivers side. There was a recall for some 2021s for this issue, but I don’t believe they captured them all because I’ve seen 2022s with the exact same failure.

Thanks for that. Mine's not showing up on the recall list but from reading it seems like the exact issue its having.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you I thought my vehicle had this issue once...turned out the floor mat was pressing on the accelerator...vehicle won't start if the foot is on the gas...

Back story is it did it at the car wash, and when they put the floor mats in, they had it ver the gas pedal...I was all flustered, unhooked the negative battery terminal, etc...still no luck...finally noticed the floor mat was on the gas...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hmm, I said in the title the vehicle cranks but won't start. Doesn't that imply crank-no start? Just asking as it seems pretty clear to me. The engine is cranking but it won't turn over.

Semantics I guess, thank you for the proper terminology. Doesn't change the fact that this vehicle sucks.
You just repeated again what causes the confusion. Your title says, "Crank-no start". That is clear and gets to the point. Then you say, "The engine is cranking but it won't turn over". That statement causes confusion. The "won't turn over" is the direct opposite of "engine is cranking". YOU may feel that it is no big deal but when asking for help, the details are important to make sure we don't go down a rabbit hole with recommendations.

When I ran shops for 25+ years, I asked detailed questions and I made a point of making sure I understood the exact concern, so I did not have one of my techs going the wrong direction with a diagnosis. Be mad at your vehicle. No problem. Mixed messages. Problem.

OP
OP
Donnation

Donnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just repeated again what causes the confusion. Your title says, "Crank-no start". That is clear and gets to the point. Then you say, "The engine is cranking but it won't turn over". That statement causes confusion. The "won't turn over" is the direct opposite of "engine is cranking". YOU may feel that it is no big deal but when asking for help, the details are important to make sure we don't go down a rabbit hole with recommendations.

When I ran shops for 25+ years, I asked detailed questions and I made a point of making sure I understood the exact concern, so I did not have one of my techs going the wrong direction with a diagnosis. Be mad at your vehicle. No problem. Mixed messages. Problem.

Understood. What should I be saying then? When I press the ignition button it makes a clicking sound like it’s trying to start, but it won’t. It’s just makes the initial sound over and over again until I turn the ignition off. Is that better?

Also, I think once they attempt to start the vehicle they will understand the problem. There won’t be mixed messages.

OP
OP
Donnation

Donnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you I thought my vehicle had this issue once...turned out the floor mat was pressing on the accelerator...vehicle won't start if the foot is on the gas...

Back story is it did it at the car wash, and when they put the floor mats in, they had it ver the gas pedal...I was all flustered, unhooked the negative battery terminal, etc...still no luck...finally noticed the floor mat was on the gas...

HOLY ****!!!! THAT WAS IT!!! I was cleaning out the vehicle last night and as soon as I read the what you wrote I drove straight to the dealer and got ahold of my keys before they had taken it back. Sure enough the floor mat was resting on the gas pedal.

Thank you so much. I can’t tell you how happy you’ve made me. Cheers to you!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts