Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sodacitydenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The idea of having HDMI/USB cables hanging out of the center console in the back bothers me, on a $80k+ vehicle. I feel like the HDMI and USB inputs should be tucked away, both for aesthetics, and also to keep 5 year olds from kicking them when they're walking by or hauling their backpacks in and out of the vehicle.

So, my thought is:

If the wiring harness can be spliced/expanded I could relocate the HDMI/USB module inside the center console compartment, under the arm rest, and in its place put a simple USB charging module (which would come standard on a model w/o RSE).

It would take a little bit of drilling, to break through the wall on the center console compartment, but I could get a 3D printed enclosure to hold the module, and attach it to the console interior, to give it a clean look and hide the wiring adapters.

Problem is, I don't have the knowledge/expertise/experience to splice the wiring harness (or create splitters) in order to connect both modules.

I've done a little hunting to find some diagrams and pictures of the back side of the module. GMC is using a proprietary enclosure and connector it seems.

I've attached pictures/diagrams I've found...would love to hear others owners thoughts on this. Especially if you have the expertise required to splice into the harness.

I saw that Gen5DIY did something similar for a power adapter for a radar detector, and they also have the auto-stop eliminator..which makes me think this is actually a possible avenue.

Attachments

• Center Console Shell.png
    Center Console Shell.png
    138 KB · Views: 17
  • Center Console - Rear Trim w HDMI Module.png
    Center Console - Rear Trim w HDMI Module.png
    509.3 KB · Views: 15
  • HDMI Module - Rear.png
    HDMI Module - Rear.png
    153.6 KB · Views: 14

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Splicing USB may work for power, for signal, be careful.
HDMI is worse...HD bandwidth requirements are such that those cables are somewhat sensitive...
Net, be careful w/ the splicing...

You may be better off just removing the HDMI module from the mounting, and tuck it inside the console, and then just make a plastic cover for the spot where it goes.

OP
OP
sodacitydenali

sodacitydenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Splicing USB may work for power, for signal, be careful.
HDMI is worse...HD bandwidth requirements are such that those cables are somewhat sensitive...
Net, be careful w/ the splicing...

You may be better off just removing the HDMI module from the mounting, and tuck it inside the console, and then just make a plastic cover for the spot where it goes.
I was looking at the module pictured above, and comparing it to the usb-only module.

The USB only module only has 1 port for connection - which implies to me that (on that module) it's only for power.

The Above-pictured module has 3 ports, which to me means: 1 is for USB power, 1 is for USD Data, and 1 is for HDMI signal. If that's true, they you only need to splice the power port, and re-route the HDMI/USB data plugs to the second module. Which makes it sound like the entire job just got significantly easier.

Problem is, I don't have a donor harness to really mess around/test with. So, unless I can get an actually wiring schematic (probably) it's all just a fancy thought exercise :|

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26