2021 Or 2019/Independent rear suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldBob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Advice please - I am looking for a used Tahoe or Yukon. My use includes pulling some trailers. Am I better off with a 2019 with conventional rear end or a 2021 with independent rear suspension? Is the transmission difference important between those years? I am replacing a 2005 Tahoe. Thanks.

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Advice please - I am looking for a used Tahoe or Yukon. My use includes pulling some trailers. Am I better off with a 2019 with conventional rear end or a 2021 with independent rear suspension? Is the transmission difference important between those years? I am replacing a 2005 Tahoe. Thanks.
2019 and 2021 6.2L use the same 10-speed transmission. There are some guys here towing heavy campers with the independent rear suspension and having great results, but the factory air suspension is the only way to take up any sag that the weight distributing hitch can't. There are currently no aftermarket helper air bag solutions for the 2021+ trucks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OldBob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2019 and 2021 use the same 10-speed transmission. There are some guys here towing heavy campers with the independent rear suspension and having great results, but the factory air suspension is the only way to take up any sag that the weight distributing hitch can't. There are currently no aftermarket helper air bag solutions for the 2021+ trucks.
I don’t know why but I always assumed that a traditional axel would be more stable. I guess I have been driving conventional rear-ends for over 40 years in trucks, jeeps, suburban, etc. and stuck in old thinking. I assume these independent rear-ends can still have LSD’s, lockers, etc. installed?

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2019 or 2020 have the 10 speed. Great trans. I had a 2017 Yukon Xl denali (same generation, but 8 speed trans) that was the boss when towing. Had the auto ride air shocks and was always level and towed great. The 2020 with 10 speed, solid rear axle is a great towing combo and alot cheaper than the 2021 on up. Also the 2019-2020 arent as prone to the lifter issue of the new generation. The 2021 ride comfort not towing is superior, but the 2020 tows great and isnt a bad ride at all.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know why but I always assumed that a traditional axel would be more stable. I guess I have been driving conventional rear-ends for over 40 years in trucks, jeeps, suburban, etc. and stuck in old thinking. I assume these independent rear-ends can still have LSD’s, lockers, etc. installed?
Yes, the 2021+ models all have at a minimum the G80 locker, but some trim levels come with electronic lockers instead.

Last edited:

EducatorDan

Reaction score
I was so happy when GM announced the independent rear suspension.

I knew my wife was gonna own one of these suckers one day and having done many miles in the old "log axle" configuration when working in a job where I had frequent access to "the fleet" I thought the old solid axle was only really good for towing and terrible for a daily driver.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was so happy when GM announced the independent rear suspension.

I knew my wife was gonna own one of these suckers one day and having done many miles in the old "log axle" configuration when working in a job where I had frequent access to "the fleet" I thought the old solid axle was only really good for towing and terrible for a daily driver.
With the mag ride and air leveling, that old log axle got as good as it could be, but the IRS is bound to be better in all daily driving ways, yet still fine for towing. I towed with an ‘07 LR3 that was IRS with air bags and it was a decent tow rig.

tdebacker

Reaction score
I can't tell you about towing. I've driven both the new IRS Suburbans/Yukons at work, and they feel as stable as my '17 Suburban Premier, but I haven't loaded either down with a trailer yet.

As far as the trans goes, the 2015-2020 5.3L V8s get the 6 speed, the 2018-2020 6.2L V8s get the 10 speed, and every 2021+ get the 10 speed, no matter the engine.

The 10 speed is a pretty good trans and shifts well once you break it in. I haven't heard of many issues with them. I like how they drive with it.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2019 and 2021 use the same 10-speed transmission. There are some guys here towing heavy campers with the independent rear suspension and having great results, but the factory air suspension is the only way to take up any sag that the weight distributing hitch can't. There are currently no aftermarket helper air bag solutions for the 2021+ trucks.
2019 w/5.3L gets the 6 speed......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf