2019 Tahoe Premier Towing Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

topaq

Reaction score
What swathdiver said:
Watch out for loads with a high sail area, that short wheelbase will get tossed around more than a longer tow vehicle.

Towing capacity is not nearly as important as Cargo Capacity (including the tongue weight of your trailer), length of the trailer and wheel base. If your planning on long trips on the interstate I wouldn't recommend a trailer longer than about 25 ft and less than 6000 lbs fully loaded. And that's with a good WDH with antisway and LT rated tires. Even with that you're pushing the limits depending on how experienced you are at towing. That's why you see most trailers towed by pickups. The longer wheelbase is what makes the difference.

OP
OP
A

aggie4life

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What swathdiver said:

Towing capacity is not nearly as important as Cargo Capacity (including the tongue weight of your trailer), length of the trailer and wheel base. If your planning on long trips on the interstate I wouldn't recommend a trailer longer than about 25 ft and less than 6000 lbs fully loaded. And that's with a good WDH with antisway and LT rated tires. Even with that you're pushing the limits depending on how experienced you are at towing. That's why you see most trailers towed by pickups. The longer wheelbase is what makes the difference.
Yes, I don't have any plans to tow anything regularly. Really just wanted to know if I can tow my 6k jeep in the event I break it rock crawling. Will be buying a 3500 something next year, but this is in the mean time.

Vipverbob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 2018 Premier. With the RST package, it essentially includes the Max trailering towing in the package. The other thing it does is include the 3.23, not 3.42. Now I also have the RST 6.2l engine. Not sure it that makes a difference.

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
What swathdiver said:

Towing capacity is not nearly as important as Cargo Capacity (including the tongue weight of your trailer), length of the trailer and wheel base. If you’re planning on long trips on the interstate I wouldn't recommend a trailer longer than about 25 ft and less than 6000 lbs fully loaded. And that's with a good WDH with antisway and LT rated tires. Even with that you're pushing the limits depending on how experienced you are at towing. That's why you see most trailers towed by pickups. The longer wheelbase is what makes the difference.
Total weight of the rig matters too for cooling capacity of the engine and trans, along with braking capacity, especially if you’re towing over grades.

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
I have 2018 Premier. With the RST package, it essentially includes the Max trailering towing in the package. The other thing it does is include the 3.23, not 3.42. Now I also have the RST 6.2l engine. Not sure it that makes a difference.
Yes, the 6.2L L86 in 2018 only uses the GM Hydra-Magic 10L80-10spd trans with 4.70:1 gearing in 1st gear and much less of a spread between gears along with a lot more torque of the 6.2L, they can use a taller differential gearing.

GM 10-Speed 10L80 vs. 8-speed Hydra-Matic Transmissions - Gear RatiosTransmission:
10-speed 10L80/8-speed 8LXXGear ratios :)1)First:4.70/4.56
Second:2.99/2.97
Third:2.15/2.08
Fourth:1.80/1.69
Fifth:1.52/1.27
Sixth:1.28/1.00
Seventh:1.00/0.85
Eighth:0.85/0.65
Ninth:0.69–
Tenth:0.64–
Reverse:4.87/3.82

Forum statistics