2019 Tahoe Frame Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tmcree28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Buying a 2019 Tahoe tomorrow. I live in Texas and picking this one up in NY with 22k miles. They sent me some undercarriage pics that have some rust on the frame. It looks minimal to me but I’m wanting to “fix” it when I get home. Suggestions?

Attachments

• 5315F14D-3FC7-4DD4-8CD8-A8AF0060082F.jpeg
    5315F14D-3FC7-4DD4-8CD8-A8AF0060082F.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 26
  • BAA0C0C6-E907-4465-BC1A-69AB777C68EC.jpeg
    BAA0C0C6-E907-4465-BC1A-69AB777C68EC.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 24

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do a Google search and it will bring up the actual product that GM uses. Several discussions on this on both truck forums and plenty of suggestions that may prove to be overwhelming.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what I do in WI......except I usually buy down south and then bring to salt areas.

1. Brush off loose rust on areas you want to clean
2. Apply rust converter to the areas
3. Paint or apply aerosol truck bed coating. Let cure in TX heat for a week or so
4. Leave alone since you live in TX or buy FLUID FILM regular or black and apply over the entire frame - inside and out if possible.
5. Drive down a dusty road to seal it all up. LOL

I would advise buying a good rust proofing gun that has the flexible wands to reach in all sorts of spots.

mrathell

Reaction score
Be careful of what you choose to do. Some of those methods are only covering up the rust with rubbery sprays ons. This is bad, it only accelerate the rusting process.
The only way to stop rust from spreading is to grind it out or cut it out.

Also remember, you are only seeing the the rust visible to you. Road salt will get in all nooks and crannies, places you will never see and will never ever be able to remove. In essence, you are only treating the areas you are able to physically touch. So when you apply those coatings after doing all of that work, you are actually making the issue worse because now you are sealing in the rust and salt to accelerate the corrosion process from the inside out.

Rule #1, never by a car from the mid-west or other salt belt locations. It's as bad as buying a flood car from salty water areas.

Last edited: