2019 Chevy Tahoe towing an rv

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jcand32022

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello new to the forum . I have a 2019 Tahoe w/o the max trailering package. I believe it came with the heavy duty hitch and automatically comes with the trans and engine coolers. I'm looking at getting a travel trailer and I don't want to go over 5500lbs fully loaded. Seeing as I only can haul 6600 lbs. I'm planning on getting a wdh anti sway hitch and brake controller. Is there anything else I need to know ? So far all of the tts I've found have been around 22-24ft long but I found one that is 27ft long and within the weight limits. Does anyone have any experience with a longer trailer or any advice?

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your handy change out your transmission thermostat to the new version which opens at 155 degrees instead of 195. Very easy swap out to prolong the life of the trans especially if your going to be doing some towing

topaq

Reaction score
Hello new to the forum . I have a 2019 Tahoe w/o the max trailering package. I believe it came with the heavy duty hitch and automatically comes with the trans and engine coolers. I'm looking at getting a travel trailer and I don't want to go over 5500lbs fully loaded. Seeing as I only can haul 6600 lbs. I'm planning on getting a wdh anti sway hitch and brake controller. Is there anything else I need to know ? So far all of the tts I've found have been around 22-24ft long but I found one that is 27ft long and within the weight limits. Does anyone have any experience with a longer trailer or any advice?
You don't mention what size engine and trans gear ratio you have but I would say stick to the 24 ft limit and stay well under your towing capacity. Towing capacity is for a flat bed trailer. Not necessarily for a high profile RV. Also watch the cargo capacity. You should have 12-15% of your tongue weight (825 lbs max) and add the weight of the WDH hitch (about 100 lbs). Add in additional passengers and cargo in the Tahoe to see if you are within the cargo capacity. Could be close.

WDH is essential. I have a Yukon with 6.2 L engine and max tow. Towing a 24 ft. trailer that is 6700 lbs. fully loaded. Equalizer hitch. This setup is fairly good but it does struggle on long, steep inclines. Trans temp even with the additional cooler can be high, especially if having to slow down to 45 mph. And with the shorter wheelbase even the Equalizer struggles at times with sway. If I ever get a longer trailer would definitely go to a pickup for the longer wheelbase.

faredo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 5300lb (Dry) 30ft camper I tow with 308 gears and 5.3L . I would not tow without a WDH, its is huge difference in the wind and passing big trucks. with the WDH and very high wind its still not fun but in normal conditions we do just fine. We did some towing in the Ozark Mountains over the weekend and i saw a trans temp of 213 for the first time. so im currently looking for a trans cooler. Im not sure if mine has one at all, but it did come with a class 3 hitch.

OP
OP
J

Jcand32022

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 5300lb (Dry) 30ft camper I tow with 308 gears and 5.3L . I would not tow without a WDH, its is huge difference in the wind and passing big trucks. with the WDH and very high wind its still not fun but in normal conditions we do just fine. We did some towing in the Ozark Mountains over the weekend and i saw a trans temp of 213 for the first time. so im currently looking for a trans cooler. Im not sure if mine has one at all, but it did come with a class 3 hitch.
What year is your tahoe? I just bought a camper that is 3900 dry and can be up to 6000 full. I plan on staying around the 5k mark and after doing all of my calculations I'm in a good range. I have a 4pt equalizer hitch and it towed just fine from Nebraska to Colorado. As for the trans cooler depending on the year I think if they come with a tow package it comes with a trans cooler. The max tow has an additional one

faredo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What year is your tahoe? I just bought a camper that is 3900 dry and can be up to 6000 full. I plan on staying around the 5k mark and after doing all of my calculations I'm in a good range. I have a 4pt equalizer hitch and it towed just fine from Nebraska to Colorado. As for the trans cooler depending on the year I think if they come with a tow package it comes with a trans cooler. The max tow has an additional one
2016 I looked in the grill and didnt see one mounted.

MonnieRock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If your handy change out your transmission thermostat to the new version which opens at 155 degrees instead of 195. Very easy swap out to prolong the life of the trans especially if your going to be doing some towing

Bob2C,

New member and new owner of a 2019 Cadillac Escalade 4x4

Question, was there an update for the thermal bypass valve for the 10 speed transmission also? I could not find a TSB.

Thank you,
Monnie

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bob2C,

Question, was there an update for the thermal bypass valve for the 10 speed transmission also? I could not find a TSB.

Thank you,
Monnie

Bob2C hasn't been on here since August. Note that if you want to tag a member, use the "@" symbol and start typing the username. Then make the correct selection. Once you post the msg that user's name will be in color. Like this @MonnieRock

topaq

Reaction score
Bob2C,

Thank you,
Monnie
I believe the service bulletin is 21-NA-199 Dec. 2021

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaka1