2018Tahoe Whining @ 1200-1500 RPM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonathan82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a new 2018 Tahoe in November and have been hearing a very annoying whining/droning sound between 1200 and 1500 RPM. This is most annoying because I hover around these RPM's for 3 hours a day sitting in traffic. It does it in any gear as long as you're in that RPM range and it does it in park, neutral or driving. Having the AC running has no effect on the sound. The sound seems to stay on the drivers side of the car. I took the truck back to the dealership twice and they don't know what it is. I test drove a new 2019 and it had the same problem.

dmad1

Reaction score
What you are hearing sounds like you are describing my '17 Tahoe. Have had it at the dealer several times. First time they replaced the heater fan motor. No change. They then decided it was the A/C compressor. No change. Then they kept it a few days and still no fix. I then found a Service Bulletin saying it was the A/C lines under the hood vibrating. Ordered the bracket they said would take out the vibration. Bracket didn't come close to fitting the lines. After many trips to the dealer, they gave up and said if GM come up with a fix, they will call me. Right! That was 7 months ago. Just before my 3 yr. and 36k warranty ran out, I took it to another dealer. They first said it was coming from the lifters. They then decided it was the injectors and the word they used was "Not Abnormal". They didn't say normal, just "Not Abnormal". They would not even write up a repair order. So, I am still not happy with either dealership or GM. I called GM and they blew it off and sent me back to see the dealer. It will take a pretty good salesman to sell me another GM after no better service and help I have received. If you do find a fix, I would appreciate you passing it back to me. Not sure it will help since I am past the 36k. Oh, didn't mention that when I turn of the A/C, it quietens down. I would think that would give them a clue of some kind.

OP
OP
Jonathan82

Jonathan82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply! The noise I hear is not affected by the AC on or off. I do believe it’s a pulley or something attached to it.

I have been emailing the Fixed Operations Manager at the dealership and he’s pretty much worthless to talk to. I took it in days after I purchased it and they said to drive it more to see if it goes away. Last month I take it back in and this guy David pawns me off on a service tech. I go for a ride with the tech and am able to get him to hear the noise. He said to turn the radio up a couple of notches and gave me a lecture about how far vehicles have come blah blah blah. He then grabbed a brand new 2019 off the lot and it had the exact same issue... so it’s not just mine.

After weeks of trying to get a resolution from David he finally says yesterday, “engineering has no other cases or complaints so I requested a engineer to come to the dealership and drive your vehicle and let us know how to handle the issue.”

I’ll keep you posted!

PS. They have 135k more miles of dealing with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz