2018 Yukon XL 4x4 38k miles leaking coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can get universal pressure testers at ebay for around $50. Lots of attachments.

You can also "rent" them for net no cost (when you return them) from many parts places like Advance Auto. Loaner tools.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go take it for a "spirited drive" about 5 miles of good fast highway speeds and then park it on a level surface and put some clean cardboard under it (cover the entire engine/radiator area) and then check it in the morning. any spots on the cardboard in the morning will point you to the source.

G00se

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue. Every 500-750 miles, I notice my engine temps creep past 210 and know it's time to fill the coolant reservoir again. Let us know how the it goes.

Aggie76

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just had my 2015 in for another issue and they noticed the low reservoir and then found a tiny bit of fluid under drivers side top of radiator that they said would leak when under pressure and warm. They replaced the radiator and thermostat under warranty under PI1513F per the service invoice I have. The tech said they are finding quite a few with it. I had not noticed any drips on garage floor or the smell of coolant.

Last edited:

Christian80

Reaction score
I moved my wife's Yukon last night and there was a large puddle of coolant under it. The reservoir was down about 3/4 gallon. I filled it back up and ran it as well as let it idle parked for 20 mins and no drips anywhere. Y'all have a clue what's going on?

Thanks!!
Coolant reservoir develops cracks as it is made from bad plastics. I am already replacing the second one. They have a revised part which I am installing, when I replaced it the first time they did not so I went with what they had. The cracks are very fine and it leaks slow enough that it evaporates before you can see it usually only when it's very hot and under pressure. If it starts leaking more all of a sudden you will find the tank empty and you will see coolant under the reservoir or even under the SUV.

OP
OP
M

Msuforeman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Coolant reservoir develops cracks as it is made from bad plastics. I am already replacing the second one. They have a revised part which I am installing, when I replaced it the first time they did not so I went with what they had. The cracks are very fine and it leaks slow enough that it evaporates before you can see it usually only when it's very hot and under pressure. If it starts leaking more all of a sudden you will find the tank empty and you will see coolant under the reservoir or even under the SUV.

This was a puddle that was 30" in diameter.

Christian80

Reaction score
Just had my 2015 in for another issue and they noticed the low reservoir and then found a tiny bit of fluid under drivers side top of radiator that they said would leak when under pressure and warm. They replaced the radiator and thermostat under warranty under PI1513F per the service invoice I have. The tech said they are finding quite a few with it. I had not noticed any drips on garage floor or the smell of coolant.
I thought that bulletin applyes to tru ks only, do you have a truck or SUV?

G00se

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Can you post the part number or link to this revised part? Your description fits what seems to be happening with mine. Thanks in advance.