2018 Tahoe RST brakes pulsing at 36k.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jon Pousette-Dart

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have about 36,000. on 2018 Tahoe RST with Brembo Brakes. Pulsing is pretty strong now at this mileage. About to replace rotors and pads. Anyone else having to do that at this mileage?

JimBinAZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently the brakes on my 2020 Yukon XL Denali were pulsating when braking from highway speeds at 43k miles.Yesterday I had it checked and all 4 rotors were warped. Had all 4 rotors and all pads replaced. Problem solved. My son’s 2018 Suburban did the same at approximately the same mileage.

OP
OP
Jon Pousette-Dart

Jon Pousette-Dart

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes. Me. 36,000 on 2018 Tahoe RST. Took it in because pulsing was very bad last 5,000 miles. My mechanic said, there was nothing left on the pads and was lucky I brought it in.
The un-welcome news The Brembo brakes on front as same as Z model Corvette. Each rotor $440. Pads/ $340, and it was a ***** finding them. Hello wallet!!

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most drivers ride their brakes when they shouldn't, especially on grades. This is how the rotors get warped. Use your transmission to regulate downhill speed, you can substantially improve your brake life that way.

durbancic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Most drivers ride their brakes when they shouldn't, especially on grades. This is how the rotors get warped. Use your transmission to regulate downhill speed, you can substantially improve your brake life that way.
When you say let your transmission regulate speed. Are you referring to the natural transmission shifting to slow down the vehicle? Or manually shifting the transmission down in order to use the transmission to slow down? I would think that manually shifting the trans. would put more wear on it. It is a lot less expensive to replace pads and rotors than a transmission.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a lot less expensive to replace pads and rotors than a transmission.

No. And if ever you find yourself in a position where the answer is yes. Then stopping is clearly more important than going…. Which in some instances is ok, but not often.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say let your transmission regulate speed. Are you referring to the natural transmission shifting to slow down the vehicle? Or manually shifting the transmission down in order to use the transmission to slow down? I would think that manually shifting the trans. would put more wear on it. It is a lot less expensive to replace pads and rotors than a transmission.
The latter, and it does not materially wear the transmission. It's a standard piece of driving technique for semi drivers.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to the OPs question I don't think the Brembo rotors last. Mine are starting to pulsate @40k of mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thydrick