2018 Tahoe – Liftgate Delayed opening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plschweinsburg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone seen this before? When I try to open the liftgate there is like a 10 second delay before it actually opens. The lights flash and the car dings immediately but it does not open for about 10 seconds. This happens if I use the remote, or the handle, or the interior button. Any ideas?

Back story – a couple weeks ago the liftgate would not open. It was basically locked in the ajar position where it wasn’t fully closed but also wouldn’t open. I had to play with it for a couple minutes and jerk it back and forth to finally get it to open and close. Now it will open and close but with this 10 second delay. Please help!

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DIsconnect battery for a few minutes to reset and see if that works. Our trucks often have same fix as a router...

OP
OP
P

plschweinsburg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
DIsconnect battery for a few minutes to reset and see if that works. Our trucks often have same fix as a router...
tried this with no luck. Thanks tho. Some other folks think it may be the driver side actuator going bad so I may try to replace that. Unsure if that will fix it tho as the liftgate closes immediately with no problem...

chesapeake_ram

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
tried this with no luck. Thanks tho. Some other folks think it may be the driver side actuator going bad so I may try to replace that. Unsure if that will fix it tho as the liftgate closes immediately with no problem...
I have the exact same symptoms. Any luck on the fix?

OP
OP
P

plschweinsburg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the exact same symptoms. Any luck on the fix?
I was planning on replacing driver side actuator but by the time I got around to it the problem resolved itself. After about 2 weeks it started opening properly by itself and haven’t had any problems since. So not sure what the cause or fix is. Good luck!

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last fall or winter I noticed my 2019 hands free liftgate started to have issues. The motor began to sound different than it did before, and the tailgate seemed to open slower, and would occasionally close itself immediately after opening (such as when detecting an obstruction, same function.) It did this all throughout the winter until springtime where when the temperature warmed up consistently and remained relatively mild all day and night, the problem resolved itself. I wonder if it will return this winter again - we'll see.

chesapeake_ram

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was planning on replacing driver side actuator but by the time I got around to it the problem resolved itself. After about 2 weeks it started opening properly by itself and haven’t had any problems since. So not sure what the cause or fix is. Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I’ll have the same luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia