2018 Denali Adaptive Cruise Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bearsdenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I literally hate this thing! Why didn't GM give us the option of turning it off? It's the most annoying thing ever if there's any traffic. Constantly slowing you down and speeding you back up and I have it set as "short or close" as possible. I'm sure it is detrimental to gas milage too. I will get rid of this in favor of something similar that I can turn the Adaptive Cruise off if I choose to. Anyone know of a solution other than buying something else?

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't you want it on the longest distance to keep it from coming on as often.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh I bet if you give a wise person a crack at it they could "blind" it and not have it throw codes or something retarded, how does the system work? I am assuming it uses either a radar or ultrasonic sensor? camera?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well that blows.....use's all 3

The active safety control module analyzes data from the long range radar sensor module, front short range radar sensor modules, and front view camera module to identify and classify objects in the road environment. If any of the radars or the camera becomes blocked or misaligned, an “ADAPTIVE CRUISE TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE” message may be displayed and the cruise will be disabled.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this means it wont work at all or if it simply wont be "adaptive"
Note: If driving in 4WD HI range, adaptive cruise control will be disabled, which is normal. (Adaptive cruise control will function in Auto 4WD).

OP
OP
B

bearsdenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wouldn't you want it on the longest distance to keep it from coming on as often.

No because if there is a slower vehicle 600' in front of you it will gradually slow you down before you realize it you're going 10+ mph slower for no reason. The shorter setting (there are three) reduces that distance but it's still too much. It slows you down before you even think about changing lanes to pass because you're so far back. Then when you realize it and move over to pass the cruise rips you back up to speed, all of this is great for economy I'm sure. It makes you want to drive in the passing lane all the time to prevent it. Just give me the old cruise control thank you. I can manage it myself just fine.

Last edited:

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of this makes me glad that I don't have it...

Can a tuner (handheld or flashed) change this? Just throwing it out there...

Rich16LTZ

Reaction score
I like mine. Only rarely does it slow me down too quickly and that's usually when some ******** cuts over into my lane too close to me. It's not useful in heavy traffic, but why would you have your cruise set then anyway?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rs401