2017 Yukon XL Lower Control Arm Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonXLMan

Reaction score
I was checking my tires and noticed I lost 3/32 tread on my rear tires and was wondering what the heck happened in the last 1000-1500 miles. I crawled under my truck and found my wife or I had hit something that bent the lower control arm in the right rear.

I checked on-line to find the part number, then called around to locate the part locally and found one.
I am having trouble uploading files to help with the story, so I'll just describe the replacement.

Putting the two pieces side by side, the one on the Auto had a quarter inch bend in it and one side of the U shaped control arm was bent way out.

taking the two bolts off that held it in was not a problem..... Putting them back in with the new piece was a challenge. this is how I was able to get it back in:
I put the forward most bolt in and put a nut on it very loosely. I raised the rear portion into position and discovered the bolt hole was approx 30% out of alignment. After much moving of the piece back and forth with my hand I was able to get the smallest of bites with the bolt thread into the hole. I use the socket to start it with difficulty and basically wound it in as far as it would go. Once at the exit hole there again was that 30% overlap, and this time, I could not overcome the force of the rubber stopping me. I tried jacking the car up and down in multiple positions attempting to change the hole location, but the it would travel along an arc around a watch face from 9 -12, but never to the center. I finally came upon the idea, that since the bolt was too far to the 9 o'clock position in relation to the hole, I could put a rubber chock behind the wheel, put the car in reverse and push the tire hard against the chock. I reset the parking brake, crawled under the car, and voila! it slipped in with zero effort! Tightened them up to approx 130ft-lbs while I await an answer to a request for what the torque should be, and test drove the car.

I'm AMAZED how such a minor deflection could create a geometry issue so large as to scrub rubber off my tires so quickly. Just goes to show how the slightest issue in you suspension can have major effects on other parts of your vehicle.

Hope this helps the next person attempting a similar task.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like the mounting plate is warped you are probbaly not DONE yet. Good Luck

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The frame structure is made from mild steel and can be bent. Get it up on a lift and compare dimensions from right side to left side. A hard hit on a solid obstacle can easily bend the frame mounts and make everything misaligned. If bent you will need a body shop to put it on their frame machine to apply the same force that bent it just in the opposite direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter

Latest posts