2017 Yukon Denali Brakes Apply Themselves While Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cavansmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a single experience where the brakes on my 2017 Yukon Denali applied by themselves while driving. I was driving downhill through a subdivision at approximately 10-15 MPH with my foot lightly on the brakes preparing for a turn into a driveway. The brakes began to lock up on their own while turning. The condition continued until I turned the vehicle off. It sounded as if the brakes in the rear were locking up so I believe the parking brake was the culprit. I briefly saw the "Hill Assist" message on the DIC.
GM sent a tow truck and took it to my local dealership. The service department worked diligently for over a week to replicate the problem and could not. GM could not find any other instances where this situation has been reported. I have driven the car for the past couple days with no problems, but am concerned about it happening again at higher speeds. I am looking for anyone else who may have had or heard of this issue.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so your saying the rear wheels were locked up and the front wheels were pulling you forward making the rear wheels make a rubber squeal on blacktop?
if not then you may have simply felt the "hill assist" feature of the transmission kick in, which is a feature to help slow you down when going downhill

Last edited:

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine does it all the time [2016 Tahoe] going down the steep hills in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Hill assist message comes on for a few seconds. I never felt the rear brakes locking up. At least I did not notice it.

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does it all the time [2016 Tahoe] going down the steep hills in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Hill assist message comes on for a few seconds. I never felt the rear brakes locking up. At least I did not notice it.

My Denali does the same but I can never duplicate it

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which makes sense if it felt the parking brake was on, it being that the transmission was doing the slowing down. I can feel mine kick in but, yes, hard to duplicate (just like the hill start assist).

Alexquade

Reaction score
I had my “grade assist” kick on before in my 15 Silverado when I was trying to slow down fast fast on an exit ramp. Had it do it before in tow mode also.