2017 Tahoe Premier vs Yukon Denali---which would you buy and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guardian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2017 Chevy Tahoe Premier - 1.jpg I just bought a 2017 Chevy Tahoe Premier with just about everything except the retractable running boards. I did order the HUD. I was looking at the 2017 Yukon Denali, but they wanted way, way too much for that vehicle and all they had were black, silver, and white.

I talked to my Chevy dealer about getting a new 2017 Tahoe Premier in Siren Red Tintcoat. He looked all over Texas to find one available and couldn't. Again, all they had on the lot were black, silver and white, and this was in April 2017.

So, he said why not order one from the factory. The GMC Yukon dealer never mentioned that option. It was take what they have or find one on your own. We ordered the Tahoe Premier with me picking and choosing what I wanted. I got the 20's with Chrome wheels. Exactly 6-weeks to the day, we went in and finished off the deal and drove the new truck home. I'm waiting on my title transfer and new tags.

I love driving this vehicle. I traded a 2012 Tahoe LTZ with about 44K miles and got exactly what I wanted for it. This new Tahoe weights about 500 lbs less then my old one and that makes a difference in how it moves. It's quick. I'm learning how to control the accelerator all over again! And this new Tahoe is quiet, very quiet, shockingly so. The ride is smooth with the Magnetic Ride Control which is one of the features that drew me to the Tahoe. I did test drive the new truck and put it over 75 on the highway just to make sure there was no buffering or air pressure problems that some people experience. Mine was just fine. Oh, this new Tahoe sits a little higher than the 2012 and being an older guy with stiff joints, it's a little harder to climb into. But, once inside with all the refined controls up higher so you can actually see them, it's great.

I think I saved about $10,000 over a 2017 Yukon Denali. That's a lot of money I can use somewhere else and still drive a nice, high-tech vehicle for a lot of years to come.

Just my opinion of course.

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes or Flex Fuel

IMO, my butt dyno says Flex Fuel gives 50+ HP. :nolol:
Is the 6.2 a flex fuel engine? In my 2013 5.3l Suburban the gas cap was yellow and there was info that the car was flex fuel. My 2017 Yukon Denali has no such designation that I can find - nothing near the gas filler nor in the owners manual.

DWebPro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the 6.2 a flex fuel engine? In my 2013 5.3l Suburban the gas cap was yellow and there was info that the car was flex fuel. My 2017 Yukon Denali has no such designation that I can find - nothing near the gas filler nor in the owners manual.

Yep! Whats interesting is I see the Escalade can handle flex fuel but cant find anything on the Denali being flex fuel compatible. Odd!

Kendall69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Denali not worth the extra 10K. I just brought home the 4x4 set with all of the Denali additions, and saved 10K. The grill who cares, the name Denali on the leather who cares. I got full leather and added thick sheepskins any way. The seat cooling still works. The vehicle is AMAZING. I got full entertainment, sun roof, etc etc. So I don't feel I'm missing anything including the 10K I would have been missing. The bigger engine - who cares, I can't keep the 5.3 under 80 mph no matter what I do. I don't plant on drag racing kids in rice burners to prove a point so the 6.2 is pointless. I'm not towing CAT tractors up the rockies, or 40ft long trailers so again, keep the 6.2. I'm getting 22 mpg when I'm nice to the pedal, that equals my diesel Sprinter so I'm glad about that.

DWebPro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the 6.2 is pointless.

IMO, when my Tahoe is loaded with the family and luggage no towing, the 5.3 is horrible when passing on long road trips unless I put in octane booster. Even with the booster and 91 the 5.3 is still a slouch.

To each their own yes, there is no replacement for displacement.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get the 8 or 10 speed or do you have 5.3 with an old tranny?

IMO, 8/10 speed and 6.2L is well worth the duckets.

Gotta pay to play baby!

rjrdomer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you get the 8 or 10 speed or do you have 5.3 with an old tranny?

IMO, 8/10 speed and 6.2L is well worth the duckets.

Gotta pay to play baby!
View attachment 83333 I just bought a 2017 Chevy Tahoe Premier with just about everything except the retractable running boards. I did order the HUD. I was looking at the 2017 Yukon Denali, but they wanted way, way too much for that vehicle and all they had were black, silver, and white.

I talked to my Chevy dealer about getting a new 2017 Tahoe Premier in Siren Red Tintcoat. He looked all over Texas to find one available and couldn't. Again, all they had on the lot were black, silver and white, and this was in April 2017.

So, he said why not order one from the factory. The GMC Yukon dealer never mentioned that option. It was take what they have or find one on your own. We ordered the Tahoe Premier with me picking and choosing what I wanted. I got the 20's with Chrome wheels. Exactly 6-weeks to the day, we went in and finished off the deal and drove the new truck home. I'm waiting on my title transfer and new tags.

I love driving this vehicle. I traded a 2012 Tahoe LTZ with about 44K miles and got exactly what I wanted for it. This new Tahoe weights about 500 lbs less then my old one and that makes a difference in how it moves. It's quick. I'm learning how to control the accelerator all over again! And this new Tahoe is quiet, very quiet, shockingly so. The ride is smooth with the Magnetic Ride Control which is one of the features that drew me to the Tahoe. I did test drive the new truck and put it over 75 on the highway just to make sure there was no buffering or air pressure problems that some people experience. Mine was just fine. Oh, this new Tahoe sits a little higher than the 2012 and being an older guy with stiff joints, it's a little harder to climb into. But, once inside with all the refined controls up higher so you can actually see them, it's great.

I think I saved about $10,000 over a 2017 Yukon Denali. That's a lot of money I can use somewhere else and still drive a nice, high-tech vehicle for a lot of years to come.

Just my opinion of course.
I bought pretty much the same truck except the base wheels. As you are in Texas, not sure if you went with 4WD as I know a lot of the ones down there are 2WD. I'm in the northeast so mine is Siren Red Tintcoat with Cocoa/Dune interior...love the color combination. Premier, HUD and the base wheels. Fixed running boards. Also got the max towing. I can't stand the thought of now having 4-lo so I just got the package. Love it so far. Also had to search for this car. Didn't want to wait to do an order as I had a GM Card incentive expiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo