2017 Tahoe LT Failed to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gmfm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well. yesterday afternoon after numerous starts and running erring's around town the truck acted up and wont not start again. The problem is not the battery or the relay as a new relay made no difference.
The truck is now with the dealer.
Corrosion on the lead wire going from solenoid to starter

OP
OP
Dan17

Dan17

Reaction score
Corrosion on the lead wire going from solenoid to starter
You may be right on this corrosion at the start thing. The dealer put in a new starter. So far, all is good.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ‘17 is doing this exact same thing. I’m actually waiting for a tow truck right now

battery is 14v, turn the key and a click. Nothing else happens.

it did this 4 days ago and had 12.8v on battery. So I charged it overnight. Wouldn’t start initially, then out of nowhere started and hasn’t acted up for 3 days.

this thing is starting to nickel and dime me. Took it to Dealership for the brake recall and things have been failing left/right.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ‘17 is doing this exact same thing. I’m actually waiting for a tow truck right now

battery is 14v, turn the key and a click. Nothing else happens.

it did this 4 days ago and had 12.8v on battery. So I charged it overnight. Wouldn’t start initially, then out of nowhere started and hasn’t acted up for 3 days.

this thing is starting to nickel and dime me. Took it to Dealership for the brake recall and things have been failing left/right.
You can sustain a lot of nickels and dimes before you get to the $10K a year in depreciation a new one gives you. :)

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the used car pricing insanity, I can sell this one for almost what I paid for it 3yrs and 40k miles ago.

it's seriously tempting. I got the new starter on Saturday, will replace today.

just super frustrated at a <4yr old rig with 79k miles and all the issues recently. Maintenance has been performed. shouldn't be having these issues...yet.

OP
OP
Dan17

Dan17

Reaction score
Tylus, did you solve the issue with your Tahoe?
The dealer replaced the starter in mine and it's been fine. He showed me the one they took out and it looked like there could have been bad contact with one of the 12V pos cables at the starter. I saw a large burn spot on one of the starter post from an arc that happened at one point. The mechanic said it could be a problem for the Tahoe's.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tylus, did you solve the issue with your Tahoe?
The dealer replaced the starter in mine and it's been fine. He showed me the one they took out and it looked like there could have been bad contact with one of the 12V pos cables at the starter. I saw a large burn spot on one of the starter post from an arc that happened at one point. The mechanic said it could be a problem for the Tahoe's.
I bought a OEM starter off Amazon for $95

replaced it and it’s been perfect since. The old starter had a ton of corrosion and didn’t look the best

it’s a problem for all the 2014+ 5.3 and 6.2 motors (kind of like the DOD lifters). The pickups seem worse hit than these SUV’s, but they are all doing it

There is a new revised part that was issued in MY2018. It was $50 more expensive. So I stayed with the same part that was installed. If it fails again, I’ll use the updated one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne