2016 yukon xl Trailer Brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BradM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016 yukon xl that originally didn't have factory trailer brakes but I wanted to install for the factory look. I bought the dash panel along with the trailer brake switch. Installed the switch but I'm not getting power to the back. The fuse for trailer brake is there and I'm getting power, just not to the back where you plug the trailer lights etc. what do i need to do next?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 yukon xl that originally didn't have factory trailer brakes but I wanted to install for the factory look. I bought the dash panel along with the trailer brake switch. Installed the switch but I'm not getting power to the back. The fuse for trailer brake is there and I'm getting power, just not to the back where you plug the trailer lights etc. what do i need to do next?
I'm assuming you mean the factory trailer brake controller?

As far as I know, this cannot be added to the system after it leaves the factory. At least it cannot be *easily* done on earlier generation trucks. The only option I'm aware of is to add a 3rd party controller. I have a Tekonsha P3 in my 2007 and it was a super easy install. It's also a super easy install in your generation of truck.

OP
OP
BradM

BradM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea. Factory Trailer Brake Controller. this is what i had and the next pic is the factory I installed. the first had dummy plugs on the back, but when i purchased the switch, they plugged right in. I don't understand why they would leave the harness, fuse, and all If I cant add it.

Attachments

• Dana Dash.JPG
    Dana Dash.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 7
  • Dana Dash2.JPG
    Dana Dash2.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 6

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm assuming you mean the factory trailer brake controller?

As far as I know, this cannot be added to the system after it leaves the factory. At least it cannot be *easily* done on earlier generation trucks. The only option I'm aware of is to add a 3rd party controller. I have a Tekonsha P3 in my 2007 and it was a super easy install. It's also a super easy install in your generation of truck.

^^ This. Others will chime in, but at the least it would likely need programming and potentially a module or two. @swathdiver

dpollak81

Reaction score
Yea. Factory Trailer Brake Controller. this is what i had and the next pic is the factory I installed. the first had dummy plugs on the back, but when i purchased the switch, they plugged right in. I don't understand why they would leave the harness, fuse, and all If I cant add it.
With how everything runs through the computer system on these things I would bet it need an update to the programming to recognize the trailer brake controller.

When you thumb through the info screens in the display, does it give you a screen for the trailer brake? The screen should also come up if you hit the + - buttons on the controller too. If that screen comes up than you might just need to add some gain to it. If you don’t see that screen than I bet it will need a reflash to add the function.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same is true on the earlier trucks. It's a forehead slapper for sure. More evidence for my theory: https://chevroletforum.com/forum/ta...ry-integrate-trailer-brake-controller-102441/

Evidently, even though the wiring is there, you're still missing 2-3 additional control modules needed to make it work.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the wiring is there, he may just need to add the missing pieces and program it and voila, ITBC! Better get a subscription to the shop manual and wiring harnesses at AllDataDIY.

If all you have to do is plug in the missing pieces, then you can have it programmed through ACDelco's TDS with a 2-year subscription to your VIN.

OP
OP
BradM

BradM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
With how everything runs through the computer system on these things I would bet it need an update to the programming to recognize the trailer brake controller.

When you thumb through the info screens in the display, does it give you a screen for the trailer brake? The screen should also come up if you hit the + - buttons on the controller too. If that screen comes up than you might just need to add some gain to it. If you don’t see that screen than I bet it will need a reflash to add the function.
it does not have the screen that i can add/subtract the gain. i spoke to a guy in my area and they said 2013 and older had to be programmed, but from 2014 to current did not. I don't know how true that is

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011