2016 Tahoe Factory Transmission Cooling Method?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobH

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Tahoe with the "NHT" Max Trailering Package with a sick transmission. I'm looking at replacement with a reman transmission. I've been told by a NAPA technician that the transmission fluid is cooled in the air conditioner condenser instead of in the radiator on the 2016 and later models. I haven't crawled underneath my Tahoe yet to check where the transmission fluid lines go.

Does anybody know for sure how the transmission fluid is cooled on my stock Tahoe?

Please, no responses unless you know the answer.

Thanks in advance. Rob

topaq

Reaction score
I believe most standard models have a trans cooler that is on the side of the radiator. The models with towing package have an additional cooler in front of the radiator. At least that's the way it is on my 2019. The trans cooler is the top few inches of the unit and the bottom is the condenser for the AC. The fluid flows first through the standard cooler and then there are lines that loop around the radiator to connect to the secondary trans cooler/condenser in front of the radiator.

Attachments

• Cooler.JPG
    Cooler.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 9
  • cooler2.jpg
    cooler2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 8

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe most standard models have a trans cooler that is on the side of the radiator. The models with towing package have an additional cooler in front of the radiator. At least that's the way it is on my 2019. The trans cooler is the top few inches of the unit and the bottom is the condenser for the AC. The fluid flows first through the standard cooler and then there are lines that loop around the radiator to connect to the secondary trans cooler/condenser in front of the radiator.

It was the same way in my 16. I’m doubting the guy knew his stuff.

OP
OP
RobH

RobH

Reaction score
Thank you for your info. I need to get a factory service manual.

I'll be having a factory reman transmission put in and they will need to flush the cooler(s).

Thanks again. Rob