2016 Denali XL Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Denali XL 6.2 w 8spd transmission. During our recent snow and ice I drove it about 300 miles in ‘auto’ vs the normal 2WD I usually drive it in. Now I am noticing a low ‘whining’ noise (sounds similar to a low tone gear drive) coming from the transmission or transfer case area. It’s noticeable starting at ~30mph until I get up to highway speed. It’s not consistent with engine rpm only the vehicle speed. It’s got 85XXX miles and had the transmission flush done at ~70XXX miles due to the transmission torque converter slipping etc... the flush did seem to fix the previous issues but now this noise has me a bit concerned.

It’s not a real noticeable noise....but I can definitely tell it’s there and something that wasn’t there previous to the past cold snow/icy weather and running it in ‘auto’....

Anyone experience this or know what I’m in for??

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Denali XL 6.2 w 8spd transmission. During our recent snow and ice I drove it about 300 miles in ‘auto’ vs the normal 2WD I usually drive it in. Now I am noticing a low ‘whining’ noise (sounds similar to a low tone gear drive) coming from the transmission or transfer case area. It’s noticeable starting at ~30mph until I get up to highway speed. It’s not consistent with engine rpm only the vehicle speed. It’s got 85XXX miles and had the transmission flush done at ~70XXX miles due to the transmission torque converter slipping etc... the flush did seem to fix the previous issues but now this noise has me a bit concerned.

It’s not a real noticeable noise....but I can definitely tell it’s there and something that wasn’t there previous to the past cold snow/icy weather and running it in ‘auto’....

Anyone experience this or know what I’m in for??
All I can offer is that it sounds expensive.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auto mode will engage the transfer case. Mine makes a little noise too. I have read some on this- some hear noise others don’t. Unless it’s really loud, it sounds normal.

I changed my transfer case oil and both diffs’ oil at 39k.

I suggest you keep the fluids clean and not worry about it.