2016 , 5.3L suburban engine clicking/ticking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shipyard

Reaction score
I just noticed this clicking sound from outside the suburban at idle and still going after a several minute warm up. Kinda resembles a turn signal sound and rhythm. It sounds louder at the bottom than the top of the engine . It does get faster when revving. Does anyone recognize it? I’ll take it for a drive to see if it goes away after being really warmed up.

Turned the AC fan off and still does it. Range in or out , still makes the noise. Powertrain warranty ran out by date 5 days ago with only 30k miles on it. Go figure! Hopefully it’s not serious. Thank you!

Link to video with the sound

OP
OP
Shipyard

Shipyard

Reaction score
After about 20 minutes of driving and fully warmed up, the click sounds like it still might be there but have to try really hard to hear it over over the other engine noise. So it’s not really noticeable. I think maybe it is exhaust and maybe temperature related. It’s the coldest outside it’s been since I’ve had it.

Gmfm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just noticed this clicking sound from outside the suburban at idle and still going after a several minute warm up. Kinda resembles a turn signal sound and rhythm. It sounds louder at the bottom than the top of the engine . It does get faster when revving. Does anyone recognize it? I’ll take it for a drive to see if it goes away after being really warmed up.

Turned the AC fan off and still does it. Range in or out , still makes the noise. Powertrain warranty ran out by date 5 days ago with only 30k miles on it. Go figure! Hopefully it’s not serious. Thank you!

Link to video with the sound
I’m going with High Pressure Fuel Pump.
Mine does it. I used a stethoscope and found the noise the loudest in the fuel lines. No this isn’t a simple fuel pump switch either. Involves removing the intake manifold setting engine to tdc and replacing one time use fuel lines. I hope I’m proven wrong and it’s an easier fix. And no. fuel delivery systems are not “Power train” this should be a recall

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds perfectly normal to me, if you are talking about the 1sec interval click pretty sure that is normal and is the vacuum pump. If you want to rule it out take the belts off and listen to it again.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Normal sound no worry. When I am in the NYC-New Jersey in the winter that is just the way it sounds till it warms up. Being doing that for almost 100K miles. Not as loud in the Miami 24/7 jungle heat.

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
I’m going with High Pressure Fuel Pump.
Mine does it. I used a stethoscope and found the noise the loudest in the fuel lines. No this isn’t a simple fuel pump switch either. Involves removing the intake manifold setting engine to tdc and replacing one time use fuel lines. I hope I’m proven wrong and it’s an easier fix. And no. fuel delivery systems are not “Power train” this should be a recall

This exactly! I chased this for quite a while. Put a stethoscope on the fuel line on the drivers side where it bends to go under the intake manifold to HPFP... you'll hear the tick plan as day. You can probably even lie under the truck where the fuel lines come off the front part of the tank and see the line pulsing. Similar to @Gmfm, I replaced my HPFP and the tick is now gone. I never had any issues aside of the audible tick. One point to note, when I took the old pump out the spring pretty much fell off so I'm guessing that was the reason for the tick.

If you check that and determine that's it, I have a brand new factory HPFP I've listed in the for sale section if you're interested. Long story short, I'm an idiot and ordered it not remembering I just ordered one the day before. :slap:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645