2015 Suburban: Exterior Pillar Covers Popping Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they were going to charge you I would have purchased the panel on line, less expensive, no tax and usually free shipping and replaced it myself.

ProjectWJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced my drivers side pillar "applique" this morning. Took about 7 minutes.
I ordered a replacement from https://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/

Part Number: 84263144 - Applique - $41.85

You need a #2 Philips and a T15 Torx bit. Photos attached.

See photo - the bottom piece is obviously the replacement. Notice it is secured by a machine screw at the top (round fastener) and two blue-ish green plastic pins in the middle and bottom.

Pillar Trim.jpg

The top screw can be accessed (removed/replaced) by pulling the rubber interior window molding back.

Then remove the T15 torx bit inside the door that secures the chrome exterior trim piece (Photo attached)
T15.jpg

The old trim should pop out and slide out (towards back) pretty easily. Just put the new one back and refasten.

Interesting the replacement piece also included a small strip of double-sided automotive tape. Maybe GM thinks this'll fix the issue.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced my drivers side pillar "applique" this morning. Took about 7 minutes.
I ordered a replacement from https://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/

Part Number: 84263144 - Applique - $41.85

You need a #2 Philips and a T15 Torx bit. Photos attached.

See photo - the bottom piece is obviously the replacement. Notice it is secured by a machine screw at the top (round fastener) and two blue-ish green plastic pins in the middle and bottom.

View attachment 193060

The top screw can be accessed (removed/replaced) by pulling the rubber interior window molding back.

Then remove the T15 torx bit inside the door that secures the chrome exterior trim piece (Photo attached)
View attachment 193063

The old trim should pop out and slide out (towards back) pretty easily. Just put the new one back and refasten.

Interesting the replacement piece also included a small strip of double-sided automotive tape. Maybe GM thinks this'll fix the issue.
Wow, those ****** clips look cheap as hell too, small little plastic *** holding onto metal...at 70-75 mph, ha! i would have 3m double stick taped it all over ...

V36G35

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just glued em back on. i noticed mine failed once the weather dropped.

TonyR0206

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just get yourself some 3M outdoor heavy duty double sided tape and put it on the little round mount toward the top in the center....then slide your pilar cover into place and push on that area pretty 'firmly' for a few seconds and they won't budge after that!!

Because the replacements are going to do the same thing!
I’m starting to have the same issues on my rear doors. Does one layer of tape do the trick, or do you need to double it up ? (for thickness)

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My right front one popped off. I completely removed those stupid little clips and their glue. All of it. Then used two long strips of 3m padded double sided tape.. the black stuff.. and secured the trim piece back on. Clean it and prep it well first with alcohol.

Those clip things are complete garbage smh.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use the 3M Extreme outdoor mounting tape which is double sided with red release ribbon it is MUCH stronger! It's more for permenant mounting and some seriously tough stuff!

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use the 3M Extreme outdoor mounting tape which is double sided with red release ribbon it is MUCH stronger! It's more for permenant mounting and some seriously tough stuff!
Gorilla also has a double-sided tape product now that is substantially stronger than white 3M double-side. I bought it to fix a pillar rattle on my Tahoe and later used some of it to tape a sliding door guide down onto some tile to avoid drilling. It's not going anywhere.

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya the 3M white double sided stuff is crap! This is what I used:
Scotch Extreme Mounting Tape, 1 by 60-Inch, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SRECEU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_M11tBbT4N7KFX

But, I have since used this one and it seemed even stronger! Doesn't have as much thickness as the above but the adhesive is as strong if not more so! (It even says it can be used to replace screws or rivets etc):

3M VHB Heavy Duty Mounting Tape 4646, 1" width x 5yd length (1 Roll) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Y7EMAQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_L61tBbBZ723F4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zucchini