2015 6.2 liter Yukon xl denali clicking on exceleration only.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbedave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 200k on my 2015 Yukon xl denali. It has a 6.2 liter with 8 psd transmission. At 175k I had all the lifters replaced due to a collapsed lifter. About a 2 month ago noticed a clicking on exceleration, but would go away after a few seconds. Then started to turn up more and more. Only hear it when exceleration. If the truck is in park it will not do it!! I have taken it to mechanics and they can't figure out what's going on. Any advice would be great, thanks David Murr

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the sound go away as speed increases, gear change, rpm change. Can you drive a certain speed and keep doing it? Where does the noise sound like it's originating from? Is it a noise that follows engine rpm or vehicle speed?

yukon06

Reaction score
following this.
I have a ticking sound upon acceleration as well but not all the time it comes and goes.

OP
OP
D

dbedave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does the sound go away as speed increases, gear change, rpm change. Can you drive a certain speed and keep doing it? Where does the noise sound like it's originating from? Is it a noise that follows engine rpm or vehicle speed

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like maybe spark knock. Run a tank of premium and see if it goes away or not.

OP
OP
D

dbedave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The ticking is definitely related to engine speed. So for example, I'm driving 60 miles an hour with no ticking, slow down and take a right hand turn onto the on-ramp and accelerate. As soon as I start accelerating the ticking starts all the way through the gears until speed normalizes. Then I can be driving 80 miles an hour, and then all the sudden it'll slowly start to tick. As soon as I hit the break the ticking will stop. I've even tried putting the vehicle into neutral, when the ticking was going on, and then revving the engine. The ticking will go away as soon as I put it into neutral, and when I rev it, it will not come back. Sitting in the driveway in park or neutral I can rev it as much as I want and it will never tick.

OP
OP
D

dbedave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like maybe spark knock. Run a tank of premium and see if it goes away or not.
I have been running premium for two tanks and it did nothing. Even tried running no ethanol gas.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agree with @THarber that it sounds like spark knock. Less likely is a loose, broken, or missing exhaust manifold bolt.

OP
OP
D

dbedave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Agree with @THarber that it sounds like spark knock. Less likely is a loose, broken, or missing exhaust manifold bolt.
The frustrating thing is only time you can hear it is when you're driving. If you're just outside the vehicle and have somebody rev the engine it will never tick. So it's hard to see where the ticking is coming from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts