2014 Yukon XL/Need Advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Double

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a stock 2014 GMC Yukon XL SLT 4WD and I am wanting to level it to add 33" tires. My first question is does a 2" level really level the vehicle? Most level kits seem to be 2" but there is a 3" difference on my Yukon XL.

If I go with a 2" level, I am considering getting the Rough Country 2" Leveling Kit/Load Struts and adding the Rough Country N3 Rear Shocks. Does anyone have this set-up? How do you like it?

I am looking at the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT 33", 12.5" wide 17s and also the Nitto Trail Grapplers. I do not want a really loud tire on the pavement and will do mostly beach driving and light off-road trails here in the Southeast. Pros and Cons of either tire?

Finally, I want the new setup to poke out a little but not a lot. I am looking at 0 offset wheels. Does that sound right for what I am looking to accomplish?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stock 2014 GMC Yukon XL SLT 4WD and I am wanting to level it to add 33" tires. My first question is does a 2" level really level the vehicle? Most level kits seem to be 2" but there is a 3" difference on my Yukon XL.

It's a 2" front lift- plain and simple. Lift "kits" that only lift the front are done so to level the front with the rear, so they call it a "level". Ignore the terms and call it what it is- a front lift and focus on what you're wanting. If the rear is 3" higher, then you'll need the front to be 3" higher and a front lift that raises it 2" won't be level. So, how could it be a "leveling kit"? It's just marketing tactics.

Regardless, you can't just go by numbers and assume they apply to all vehicles. With your Yukon on a level surface and all tires properly inflated, measure the front and rear heights- ground to fender, wheel lip to fender, hub center to fender, whatever. Just be consistent. Put a jack under the cross member and raise the front. Step back and assess. Repeat until it looks how you want it to. Re-measure, using the same points as originally. Whatever the difference is will be the front lift (or "level") kit you need. You can't go strictly off numbers cuz the shape of the fender arches, body lines, windows, etc. all affect how it appears. Bringing it up 3" might make it appear too high in the front.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach!
You came to the right place for advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645