2014 Yukon XL Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003DenaliXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am interested in increasing the height of the rear of my truck. When I hook-up my boat trailer it really gets pulled down and the air compressor doesn't seem to raise it much.
I am going to take some measurements and pics tonight and hopefully update this post.
Unfortunately I don't know the tongue weight of my trailer.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you provide information on the year/make/model/engine/2WD-4WD-AWD? This will better help the knowledgeable folks on this Forum provide you with suggestions.

Or, are the truck's specs in your screen name? If yes, then if you have the air ride, and the compressor does not adequately lift the rear of the truck, then you may have leaking air shocks, or an air line leak, or a failing air compressor, or a maladjustment in the ride height rods that are key markers that the air ride system uses to make the correct ride adjustment.

OP
OP

2003DenaliXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of info.........
2014 Yukon XL Denali, 6.2L, AWD, has Air Ride.
I had the compressor replaced ~2yrs ago. I can hear it come on but doesn't seem to lift the truck much.
If the compressor comes on I assume it senses the load, will it shut-off automatically even if it doesn't reach the proper height?

TIA........

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of info.........
2014 Yukon XL Denali, 6.2L, AWD, has Air Ride.
I had the compressor replaced ~2yrs ago. I can hear it come on but doesn't seem to lift the truck much.
If the compressor comes on I assume it senses the load, will it shut-off automatically even if it doesn't reach the proper height?

TIA........

The compressor will run until it reaches ride height OR the pump runs for 255 seconds or 4 minutes and 15 seconds... which ever comes first.

The 255 seconds is a safety setting built into the suspension control module which keeps the pump from overheating.

I would check the bladders on your air shocks by feeling them to see if they are firm/stiff and also spraying them with soapy water to see if they bubble. Doing this with the trailer hooked up and the key in the ON position would be best.

The air shocks have about a 1000 pound capacity so as long as your trailer's tongue weight isn't excessive the shocks should have no trouble leveling the truck out.

OP
OP

2003DenaliXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for that info...........should the bladders feel firm w/o a load?
On my last '03 Denali I replaced the shocks w/ Arnotts.....might need to do the same here!

kbuskill

Reaction score
Thanks for that info...........should the bladders feel firm w/o a load?
On my last '03 Denali I replaced the shocks w/ Arnotts.....might need to do the same here!

They probably will be firm but with a load they should definitely be firm.

You can also reach under the truck first thing in the morning before turning the key on and see if they are soft.

If they are soft then there is a leak somewhere in the system, most likely the shock bladders but the soapy water will tell you for sure.

OP
OP

2003DenaliXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Assuming I need to replace the shocks..........what's the recommendation?

kbuskill

Reaction score

The Arnotts are good quality and good warranty.

They have a couple different options. The AS-2708 is a factory original AutoRide/Auto leveling shock that Arnott rebuilds with heavy duty, upgraded, bladders. They allow you to retain the AutoRide portion of the factory suspension which is the automatically adjusted dampening of the shock as well as the auto leveling portion which adjusts for added weight.

They also have other shocks available that only retain the Auto leveling, air portion, while eliminating the AutoRide portion by using a resistor built into the shock to trick the suspension control module so you don't end up with warning lights on your dash.

There are also other companies that have offerings as well but I only have first hand experience with the Arnotts.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I recommend the factory rear shocks. You can get them from RockAuto, and usually you can get a 5% discount using a code supplied in the vendor section. If the compressor hasn't been replaced, it's a good time to do that as well.

OP
OP

2003DenaliXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Arnotts are good quality and good warranty.

They have a couple different options. The AS-2708 is a factory original AutoRide/Auto leveling shock that Arnott rebuilds with heavy duty, upgraded, bladders. They allow you to retain the AutoRide portion of the factory suspension which is the automatically adjusted dampening of the shock as well as the auto leveling portion which adjusts for added weight.

They also have other shocks available that only retain the Auto leveling, air portion, while eliminating the AutoRide portion by using a resistor built into the shock to trick the suspension control module so you don't end up with warning lights on your dash.

There are also other companies that have offerings as well but I only have first hand experience with the Arnotts.

Are these the ones that don't support the AutoRide? AS-3430

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne