2014 PPV - Ontario

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ppvfan

Reaction score
So I picked up my 2014 PPV from a local police force in Ontario today. It was purchased through govdeals.ca 224,000 km on it and I was the only bidder and got it for $5500 CDN.

My initial observations.

No lifter noise. I plugged in my Range AFM before the trip and hope it stays that way.

The tires are Eagle RSAs with good tread left on them. I found the ride on the highway to be good. Not too noisy. However, I have a a vibration at highway speed so I think they might need to be balanced. Is the Road Force balancer best for these?

There was excessive bouncing over bumps. I think that the shocks and struts could use changing. There are new springs in the back.

The interior is a mess. They dropped in a middle seat/console in the front. Not attached to anything. Not sure if I'll keep that.

There's a brand new back seat too. Just sitting there with no nuts holding it down. I think I'll have to get that attached before the safety inspection on Tuesday.

The driver's bottom seat cushion needs to be replaced.

All kinds of holes, missing handles, trim pieces etc. Nothing too bad.

The hubcaps are missing and need to be replaced. The lower trim on the front bumper is chewed up.

I replaced some bulbs and the only light I can't get to work is the LH brake light. Any tips on this?

Aside from that I'm happy to have it and look forward to driving it and doing some work on it.

tahoe2.jpg

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach!

Your 2014 PPV looks overall in good condition. You got the best color IMHO. Having the tires road forced worked for me with vibration in my 2016 LT.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Welcome. I am generally averse to Chinese counterfeit parts but occasionally I will buy them if it’s a cosmetic part. The OEM plastic hub caps are obscenely expensive. I got four new ones on EBay and they cost less than one OEM.

OP
OP
P

ppvfan

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Today I have to get the left brake light working. I'll check for power and if that doesn't work I'll do as someone here suggested and run a jumper wire from the right side.

Where the two back seats overlap at the front it looks like the seat mounting leg on the larger one is bent as the hole doesn't line up with the bolt on the floor. May have to do some bending. I stopped at a Chevy dealer and the parts guy provided some 12mm nuts that fit the floor bolts.

OP
OP
P

ppvfan

Reaction score
The brake light problem turned out to be a bad socket. I'm ordering a new harness but did a quick fix for the inspection. I covered it with electrical tape as well.

socket-fix.jpg

The 2nd row seat just needed to be wiggled around until it fit over the bolt. The 12mm nuts worked.

However, while doing all this I noticed that the LH seat belt buckle was for a center seat and did not fit the seat belt. Hmm. The RH buckle end was missing completely. So I started looking for 2014 buckle ends online. None of them, nor the 2nd row seat matched what I had. Long story short, I have a 2016 2nd row seat in my 2014. I suspect that the guy who bought the 2016 from the same department has a 2014 seat in his.

Without any other way to check, I'm going to order 2 GM 84600044 buckle ends and assume the 2014 seat belts will fit in them.

The right front strut is definitely worn out and the left is leaking. Any recommendations for replacements? Are there specific PPV quick struts available? Thanks.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The brake light problem turned out to be a bad socket. I'm ordering a new harness but did a quick fix for the inspection. I covered it with electrical tape as well.

View attachment 346533

The 2nd row seat just needed to be wiggled around until it fit over the bolt. The 12mm nuts worked.

However, while doing all this I noticed that the LH seat belt buckle was for a center seat and did not fit the seat belt. Hmm. The RH buckle end was missing completely. So I started looking for 2014 buckle ends online. None of them, nor the 2nd row seat matched what I had. Long story short, I have a 2016 2nd row seat in my 2014. I suspect that the guy who bought the 2016 from the same department has a 2014 seat in his.

Without any other way to check, I'm going to order 2 GM 84600044 buckle ends and assume the 2014 seat belts will fit in them.

The right front strut is definitely worn out and the left is leaking. Any recommendations for replacements? Are there specific PPV quick struts available? Thanks.
I had to replace the front shocks on thecopcar recently, but wasn’t able to find complete struts. I ended up dissembling the struts and putting new shocks in.

OP
OP
P

ppvfan

Reaction score
The safety inspection found the following items:

taillights crazed and/or moisture inside
seat belt buckles wrong/missing
one front control arm
rear calipers
oil leak from pan gasket and oil cooler line area
and a few other things

The front struts passed. I will replace those in the near future. They wanted about $1,000 to change the oil pan gasket and cooler lines. I decided to try Blue Devil Rear Main Sealer for now. I put it in earlier today, drove a bit and there is no trace of a leak from the two trouble spots. I've got a piece of cardboard underneath and will check it tomorrow. I'll change the pan gasket, lines, O-ring and add the AFM diverter on my own instead.

Everything except the taillights and seat belt buckles came to $2700 plus tax. Not a giant surprise considering it has 220,000 km or 140,000 miles. If I can knock off a thousand bucks I'll be very happy.

OP
OP
P

ppvfan

Reaction score
Looking for advice on a couple of things.

1. The front bumper is missing the air dam and is a bit ragged as per the photo below. I don't think the tabs at the bottom can be fixed so I'm thinking of cutting them off to make it look a bit cleaner. I may get a new bumper cover and air dam in the future.

tahoe-bumper.jpg

2. The vehicle came with a center console jump seat. However, it was just sitting there and is missing the 2 steel frame pieces to attach it to the front seat bolts. These don't seem to be available anywhere so I'm looking for ideas about what to do with this. If I can secure it to the floor somehow I'll keep it.

console1.jpg

Thanks for any ideas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick