2013 Yukon XL - loose steering. BBB brand rack and pinion? Gear box?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dictum

Reaction score
Mechanic thinks it's the rack and pinion, and has the BBB brand. I never heard of it. Rockauto has the same thing. How does it compare to the ACDelco brand?

Also do I need to replace the gear box as well, in addition to the rack and pinion?

2013 Yukon XL, 180K on the body, 40K on the engine.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@dictum I don't think there is a separate gearbox on these, I believe the gearbox is integrated into the rack and pinion.

It should be easy to see where the slack is coming from as the steering shaft enters the rack and pinion

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanic thinks it's the rack and pinion, and has the BBB brand. I never heard of it. Rockauto has the same thing. How does it compare to the ACDelco brand?

Also do I need to replace the gear box as well, in addition to the rack and pinion?

2013 Yukon XL, 180K on the body, 40K on the engine.
Stick with GM OE of ACDelco Professional/Gold if at all possible. Same with the inner and outer tie rods. A new rack and pinion ought to come with inner tie rods, from GM anyway.

But! Why do you think the steering is loose? How is she driving? How are the tires wearing?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
BBB is the rebuild company, not the manufacturer. If it is the manufacturer, then run. As stated use only GM parts as the junk cores and low quality seals and machinery used to tool the knock offs are a huge waste of labor $ when they die shortly after the install.

I used a GM reman rack on our 08 Denali and it was great. The only issue was the fluid. DO NOT use OEM GM fluid. They’re having issues with it causing cavitation. Use an aftermarket fluid that’s more costly because it has more conditioners in it.

Unless your talking front (differential) gear box, the rack & pinion is your steering gear box. Then Gen, with a few exceptions uses all rack & pinion steering.

Questions to ask your tech ..: Is it leaking? Does it bind? Is it noisy? Do not allow him to put in a Chinese knock off rack in your truck just because his local supply house has it or on sale as the last one at Rock Auto. BBB industries = Cangzhou Xinlida Hardware, a supplier based in China.

977C1A0B-99FB-4EC6-A3A2-5070CCDCDDAC.jpeg

I sent u a message with more info.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rack n pinion is hydraulic
any play should be from tie rods or tie rod ends
at any rate if it is funky just go grab another one from the junkyard, slap it on and get a alignment

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 that if you have any play or wandering in your steering, that it's likely the inner or outer tie rod ends on either side, or both. A bad wheel bearing, worn control arm bushings, or worn sway bar links can also cause a wandering feeling in the steering.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Technician said he needed a new rack, until we hear otherwise, that’s it. Good sense and good advice does say replace most everything attached to the rack because the labor to put it back together is already paid for.

I’m scratch’s my head. What’d the technician say condemned the rack?

OP
OP
D

dictum

Reaction score
He is pretty good, has always been right on the money

Question is what brand to get

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is pretty good, has always been right on the money

Question is what brand to get
I would just grab a used oem one, you can get them to your door for $125 or go grab one from a yard for probably less, last time I bought one it was $80
if used is not what you want and if a new one is not available for a half way decent price then I would get a cardone they have been rebuilding parts for over 50 years

Rack and Pinion Assembly - 22-1145​

not cheap though, $340 on amazon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts