Steering rack: looseness between rack / pinion gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PLohr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm posting this because I didn't find anyone else discussing it, and it may help someone else. My theory is the steering racks on these trucks develop play between the rack and pinion gears somewheres after ~ 160K miles.

The truck is a 2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali. The OE steering rack (190K miles) had play (looseness / slop) between the rack and pinion gears. This was evidenced by the steering wheel moving back and forth with no response while the truck is being driven. The looseness was also apparent when the truck was parked. I found one loose tie rod end and replaced it. Still, the play in the steering remained. I checked for play right at the input shaft, to eliminate the universal joints as a source of the play. The linked video shows this. A trusted repair shop validated my testing as well, it was indeed in the steering rack.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mXuNHHz4Rf4KYD7N9

It is worth noting that I replaced the OE rack with a used one that had 159K miles on it. This rack had the same looseness in the gears. This wasn't my intention but LKQ listed the rack with the 59K miles. So you can see this is my speculation about the mileage error but I don't see a rack with 59K miles having this kind of play in it.

Thinking of installing a Cardone remanufactured rack, I called to ask if they replace the rack and pinion gears in their racks. I was told that they all get new gears. But this is not stated on the page linked below. I would think this is a big selling point, why not mention it? For me this is still questionable.

https://www.cardone.com/product/22-1145-rack-and-pinion-assembly

Feel free to add your input.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I read all the options at RA and I did not see any of them say they replace the gears but clearances are checked. I would assume that if gears are replaced, the manufacturer would step up and say that as a selling point.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, did you check in the 2008 section. This is the 2015 and I don't think we have that many steering issues yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon