2013 Tahoe/Lifters? Manifold? Piston slap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rachealae

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2013 Tahoe with 5.3. Ticking at cold start and then goes away once it reaches temp….if I rev it goes fast like a card in a bike spoke then disappears.
Had Chevrolet tell me it’s possible piston slap but they don’t know unless they take it apart. One mechanic said lifters. One mechanic said exhaust manifold leak. Who knows anymore but I’m tired of hearing it. Here’s a vid of the sound and another vid of hitting the gas to 2k rpm’s.

Also want to note I have some slow coolant loss. Was leaking at the housing so we replaced it and hasn’t done it from that spot. Still losing some though. Not sure if related.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question except to say that you definitely have an issue there; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe try recording it with the hood open and moving your phone/video camera around, above/below to help identify the source.

Frankly, from outside it does sound like a stuck lifter. But it could be an exhaust leak (although those always seem to have a little sharper/shorter note).

On the coolant loss, any on the ground under the car, or is it vanishing? Any evidence you have coolant getting into the oil?

Finally, any codes, CEL, etc.?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the last two. Although phone mics and our speakers can alter the sound from how you hear it, it really does sound like something internal and not a simple exhaust leak. But, air pulsing through an odd-shaped hole can vary in sound from one vehicle to the next. Open the hood and move the camera (phone?) around- around the top of the engine, near the side, low, left side, front, right side, etc.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 Tahoe with 5.3. Ticking at cold start and then goes away once it reaches temp….if I rev it goes fast like a card in a bike spoke then disappears.
Had Chevrolet tell me it’s possible piston slap but they don’t know unless they take it apart. One mechanic said lifters. One mechanic said exhaust manifold leak. Who knows anymore but I’m tired of hearing it. Here’s a vid of the sound and another vid of hitting the gas to 2k rpm’s.

Also want to note I have some slow coolant loss. Was leaking at the housing so we replaced it and hasn’t done it from that spot. Still losing some though. Not sure if related.
My motor sounded just like that but the sound did not go away once heated up. It was a blown exhaust manifold gasket. It sounds like a collapsed lifter or a slightly loose torque converter bolt, like the motor is about to come apart!

Are you running a Dexos approved oil?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts