2013 PPV Slight Idle Shake Unknown Cause

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
State_Blue_Man

State_Blue_Man

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

Please keep me posted on the results of your findings.

There is a slight shutter when accelerating from 600 RPM range but is only occasional and only felt under this condition. In traffic and slowing down to 5-10 mph and slow acceleration.

OP
OP
State_Blue_Man

State_Blue_Man

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: took the truck to a dealer to schedule an appointment. The service writer is a joke! I told him what i have told you and said "it's nothing major". I'm thinking what do you know you haven't even looked at the truck yet. I asked the service writer to talk to a drivabilty tech and pick his brain before committing to schedule the appointment that's 2-3 weeks out on getting the truck in and a 2-5 day check out time. The service writer said no they are all busy. My response was, can you see if one of them has time because i'm going to have to wait for two weeks. He didn't even call or go see if there was anyone available then repeated himself and gave me his card to schedule the service visit. So in short he was an ass and i'll take my business elsewhere. smh

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the codes and description from the scanner at the local about parts store.
P015B bank one sensor o2
P219A fuel bank 1 imbalance
P219B fuel bank 2 imbalance

I appreciate input on a similar fix I’ll definitely check the cat and see if it’s plugged.

These codes are generic, they really don't tell you anything. Is it sensor performance or a bad heater or a short to open or short to ground and I've never heard of the latter two before. I'm no expert but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

There is a slight shutter when accelerating from 600 RPM range but is only occasional and only felt under this condition. In traffic and slowing down to 5-10 mph and slow acceleration.

So the slight shudder only occasionally happens right at take off from a stop and when coming to a stop? That could be in the driveline, like the slip yoke or the torque converter. If I stop a certain way, usually in traffic and am coming to a stop, I can feel mine shift down to 1st like a manual. Been doing that since I bought it so it's considered normal behavior to me.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Mechanics or Technicians as some like to be called and Service advisors or Service consultants like to be called, are all paid on commission. So you go in there and ask a shit ton of questions and want the tech to come talk to you first, yeah right, try doing that at a doctors office.

It's cheaper in the long run to buy a Tech2 . You can get one for Three hundred dollars or so. Do the math one trip to the dealer = 100.00 dollars three trips = 300.00 dollars. I'm not trying to be a smart ass or nothing but their time is money. That is also why I wont work on commission .

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I ran shops for over 25 years and was a tech for 10 years before that. Techs are paid to work and service managers/writers are paid to advise and act as a go between for the tech and the customer. I would never want my techs to talk to a customer because they sometimes are not "people persons" and they could throw a wild guess while talking that the customer latches on to and then when diagnosed the fix is more expensive because of some other problem. The service writer in this instance could have handled it better but he gets a paycheck and if he is told to not allow techs to talk to customers, then that is what he will do to keep his job. I have never once in my whole life heard of a customer willing to support a worker after they get fired for going against what they are told they can and cannot do at the job.

The service manager, like I was, should be at least rudimentally trained in vehicle systems. I am still an ASE Master Tech and I asked a lot of questions to really pin down what was happening and when it was happening. I always wanted to duplicate the problem so I could find the problem. An untrained writer can cause frustration for a customer because then the customer feels completely left out of the process. It can be that way sometimes. If you are not going back there then get some recommendation(s) from friends about other shops. I never felt that all dealer techs were the best out there. I never worked at a dealer and I know back then I was one of the best in the area but I think my OCD helped with that. Find a shop you trust and look for ASE certs and stick with them and learn as much as you can about your rig so you feel more involved in the processes.

By the way, if you drive up to a shop ad the bays are empty and the techs are playing frisbee and they can "get you right in" may be a sign of a bad shop to deal with. Typically, the best shops are busy busy.

justme

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

... I put the range tech device on the OBD2 port and ran a mess of errands. the shuddering stopped, the ping did not and the uneven feel of a cylinder misfire in the engine remained.

I will check the codes hopefully by monday but ...
from what I understand, it indicates that one or several ports in the VLOM are malfunctioning or clogged (they use a fine mesh screen filter in ~5 places) and there is likely a stuck intake valve lifter on cylinder 4 or 6 (passenger side AFM cylinders.)

bummer. if true it means a day of ripping into the engine. hopefully confirmed by some scanner codes soon.

justme

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
minor update... there was a cold snap in texas... it got all the way down to 40f overnight.

on the cold start the next morning, the engine ticking was gone, until it warmed up to operating temperature.

OP
OP
State_Blue_Man

State_Blue_Man

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All thanks for the input and I think I’ll invest in a tech 2 and run some tests and watch the read outs.

I do understand the service advisors position but it’s frustrating when I’m about to put down $100 to schedule an appointment and not be able to feel confident in the dealer and it’s technicians. So I’ll try again at another Chevy dealer and maybe get in sooner than 2 weeks.

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
2 surefire ways to get in fast.
1 tell them you want on the rack 1st for the day. Show up 20 min before they open so they see you are waiting on them.
2 bring them donuts and coffee.
I usually get in within a week everytime and I'm out by 9am

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01