2012 Tahoe PPV new owner here!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello again fellow SSV/PPVers. Been kinda MIA for a while due to the pandemic, work, etc., etc, but I'm back to chime in for a quick update on my PPV. I ordered a replacement hitch bar a while ago and finally got around to getting it installed. Took it to a local shop and they did a pretty job with the swap. Yeah. I know the police manual says it cannot tow anything. On the contrary, I've heard of other folks being able to haul bigger loads after adding a transmission cooler, but I don't expect to haul anything big. I felt its good to have in case I want pull a small trailer (Jet ski or small utility trailer) or use it for a bike rack or luggage carrier. That pretty much finishes all the things on my civilian conversion to-do list. May do some other minor projects that may come to mind, but the trailer hitch was the last main thing.

As of now, it rolled over the 200K mark at 200,670 miles and it’s still running great.
My trusted mechanic just recently replaced the front and rear brakes/rotors and replaced one of the TPMS. Other than that, he said all is A-OK. He was amazed the under carriage is clean. No signs of any oil or trans fluid leaks.

View attachment 380003

View attachment 380004
Oh noes, towing!

6220D059-4B71-4C32-A46B-589B46A0FA1B.jpeg89D430B6-8BEB-4541-8B97-F7AF49B329C4.jpeg

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello again fellow SSV/PPVers. Been kinda MIA for a while due to the pandemic, work, etc., etc, but I'm back to chime in for a quick update on my PPV. I ordered a replacement hitch bar a while ago and finally got around to getting it installed. Took it to a local shop and they did a pretty job with the swap. Yeah. I know the police manual says it cannot tow anything. On the contrary, I've heard of other folks being able to haul bigger loads after adding a transmission cooler, but I don't expect to haul anything big. I felt its good to have in case I want pull a small trailer (Jet ski or small utility trailer) or use it for a bike rack or luggage carrier. That pretty much finishes all the things on my civilian conversion to-do list. May do some other minor projects that may come to mind, but the trailer hitch was the last main thing.

As of now, it rolled over the 200K mark at 200,670 miles and it’s still running great.
My trusted mechanic just recently replaced the front and rear brakes/rotors and replaced one of the TPMS. Other than that, he said all is A-OK. He was amazed the under carriage is clean. No signs of any oil or trans fluid leaks.

I could be wrong but I thought these trucks had an oil cooler and transmission cooler... :hmm:

Sikh_Chevy_Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just another update on my project. So this past week, and weekend, I got 3 more things done: Steering wheel w/radio controls swap, 3rd row seat install, and bench seat install.

1.The steering wheel swap was pretty straight foward. Unfortunately, I didn't take pics while I was doing it since I did it fairly quickly. I watched the following YouTube video (for anyone interested in doing a swap) and followed exactly how the guy demonstrated in the video while using the same tools and everything. The video was for how to replace a steering sheel on a 07-13 Chevy Silverado, but it was exactly the same and easy to do.

View attachment 332398

Before and after swap.
View attachment 332399View attachment 332400

2. 3rd row seat install pics

View attachment 332401

Removing the plastic bolt caps
View attachment 332402View attachment 332403
View attachment 332404View attachment 332405

Using the cargo mat cut outs for the rubber floor and insulation cut out.
View attachment 332406View attachment 332407

Brackets and bolts ready for mounting
View attachment 332408

Brackets installed. Ready for the seats!
View attachment 332409View attachment 332410
View attachment 332411

3rd row seats installed.

View attachment 332412
View attachment 332413View attachment 332414

Bench seat install pics in the following post.
would i be able to do the steering wheel swap on my 2014 ppv? And how do you get the switches on the wheel to work

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it’s the wheel and matching clock spring. Not sure what else is involved.

Super easy. If you have the cruise controls on your PPV steering wheel, then you have the audio control connectors behind the airbag.

Order a new steering wheel with both cruise and audio controls (left and right controls) attached. I think mine was $200-$220 from dealer in Phoenix (they sell a lot of eBay).

Comes to install. There are many videos on YouTube. The main point with the install, you will re-use the airbag.

Sikh_Chevy_Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Super easy. If you have the cruise controls on your PPV steering wheel, then you have the audio control connectors behind the airbag.

Order a new steering wheel with both cruise and audio controls (left and right controls) attached. I think mine was $200-$220 from dealer in Phoenix (they sell a lot of eBay).

Comes to install. There are many videos on YouTube. The main point with the install, you will re-use the airbag.
Hmmm pretty sure mine doesnt have cruise control but will double check. but deff will check it out and if i have any other questions ill deff come back here. Thank you very much

Z56police

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a 1997 Crown Victoria Police interceptor from the Florida Highway patrol. It was a great car!! I bought it with 101000 miles on it and sold it with 280000 miles on it 12 years later. I sold it for $1100 less than I paid for it, after 12 years. It only had the typical Crown Victoria problems. 4.6L plastic intake cracking, and I went through a couple transmissions.
I bought it back in 2002. Florida highway patrol really took care of their cars back then. Hopefully, they took the same care of the Tahoe. It is a really nice find!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts