2012 PPV Tahoe w/ Bearing Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you will need to reprogram for the new gear ratio. It'll run and drive, but it'll be confused with the speed sensors reporting an unexpected value for a given gear and RPM. You really should get a custom tune, anyway.

I can't recommend any one particular gear set brand. Generally, just stick to OEM or any of the big name manufacturers. If you get a new diff, they may offer you a deal on a set of their gear sets. I'd also advise you have it professionally installed, preferably by a shop that specializes in drivelines. This may be required for warranty purposes, anyway.

OP
OP
ATLPPV

ATLPPV

Reaction score
Thanks gents! I have an apt scheduled for Monday for a specialty 4x4 shop to get her up in the air to double check and install Yukon 3.42's and the Eaton TrueTrak. I'll let you guys know how it feels when I get it back. Thanks a ton for everyone's input.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks gents! I have an apt scheduled for Monday for a specialty 4x4 shop to get her up in the air to double check and install Yukon 3.42's and the Eaton TrueTrak. I'll let you guys know how it feels when I get it back. Thanks a ton for everyone's input.

No 3.73? Jealous of the TrueTrac.

OP
OP
ATLPPV

ATLPPV

Reaction score
I thought about the 3.73 but don't want to go too far with the gearing since I do a fair amount of highway driving. The 3.42 is standard on the towing package Tahoe's so with our smaller PPV tires I figure I'd be a slight advantage to a standard towing package Tahoe.

And thanks, I tried to do a lot of reading and from what I could see in different threads people compare pretty much all the rear ends to a TrueTrac and then the general consensus on those threads is go with the TrueTrac. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about the 3.73 but don't want to go too far with the gearing since I do a fair amount of highway driving. The 3.42 is standard on the towing package Tahoe's so with our smaller PPV tires I figure I'd be a slight advantage to a standard towing package Tahoe.

And thanks, I tried to do a lot of reading and from what I could see in different threads people compare pretty much all the rear ends to a TrueTrac and then the general consensus on those threads is go with the TrueTrac. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

I couldn't imagine mine with anything less than 3.73, but I have the lowly 4L60. I think 3.42s are fine for your particular rig and use.

OP
OP
ATLPPV

ATLPPV

Reaction score
I picked it up after the transplant! You guys nailed it, the sound is gone now and I do really love the 3.42 gears. It still feels stock but a little more pep than before.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked it up after the transplant! You guys nailed it, the sound is gone now and I do really love the 3.42 gears. It still feels stock but a little more pep than before.

Great! Nothing like a member getting solid information and it corrects the problem.

I'm still torn on either 3.42 or 3.73. I wish there was a 3.55 option, but oh well.

I know a local Yukon dealer, he quoted me $1600 for the Ring/pinion kit, Trutrac, master overhaul kit and installed. The Trutrac comes with a lifetime warranty too.

I shooting for sometime next month.......

Last edited:
OP
OP
ATLPPV

ATLPPV

Reaction score
Great! Nothing like a member getting solid information and it corrects the problem.

I'm still torn on either 3.42 or 3.73. I wish there was a 3.55 option, but oh well.

I know a local Yukon dealer, he quoted me $1600 for the Ring/pinion kit, Trutrac, master overhaul kit and installed. The Trutrac comes with a lifetime warranty too.

I shooting for sometime next month.......

I'm definitely thankful for the advice and outcome. Honestly I couldn't be happier with the 3.42, to me it feels like it should have come with that from the factory especially with the PPV size tires.

If you are in Atlanta before you do yours let me know and you can check it out, it's the exact same thing you're looking at!

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely thankful for the advice and outcome. Honestly I couldn't be happier with the 3.42, to me it feels like it should have come with that from the factory especially with the PPV size tires.

If you are in Atlanta before you do yours let me know and you can check it out, it's the exact same thing you're looking at!

Awesome and I appreciate the offer.

Did you notice any change in your mpgs with the gear swap?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts