2011 Avalanche Axle Swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche / Cadillac EXT' started by David Smith, Oct 6, 2019.

1. David Smith

David Smith Full Access Member

Name:
    David
    Hey guys,

I have done a few searches, but have not found what I am looking for yet. I have a 2011 Avalanche with 3.08 gears. I have a boat that weighs roughly 4-4500lbs. Towards the top of this trucks capacity. I was curious how much of a difference I would actually be able to expect if I swapped to the 3.42 axle. On flat ground it does alright at 60 or below. If I try and go 65-70 while towing, it will run at a pretty high rpm. In the slight hills of northern GA, this truck is an absolute pig. At times, I felt like I might not make it to the top of some of them.

I was also curious if the 3.73 gears from a tahoe or 1500 would be better, or too much. This is a factory truck.

Thanks for y'alls help!

2. iamdub

iamdub Hold on... Lemme overthink this for a bit...

Name:
    Chris
    I don't know about the '09+ with the 6-speed transmissions, but on my '08 with the 4-speed, the factory trailering package included 3.73 gears. I'd imagine the newer ones such as yours would be the same. If you don't tow enough in relevance to your normal driving to go "full-tilt" with the 3.73, then the 3.42 would be an 'okay' compromise. Cruising on flat land at 70MPH, I'm turning 2,000 RPM and averaging around 19MPG with no AFM. I got almost 21MPG with AFM. Keep in mind mines a Tahoe, so it's shorter and possibly lighter than your Avalanche.