2009 Tahoe Sunroof Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkreller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My sunroof stopped working. I thought it was maybe the switch so I replaced it and it started working again. What’s weird is that it didn’t start working right after the switch replacement and it would not auto open, I had to keep the button pressed to open and close.

Anyway, it’s dead again. No sound that it’s trying to work. It just does nothing and I’m starting to think my motor is shot.

Does anyone know some troubleshooting I can go through? I can see where the motor is but it’s damn near impossible to get to and I can’t find any info online explaining how to change it out.

I appreciate any help!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sunroof stopped working. I thought it was maybe the switch so I replaced it and it started working again. What’s weird is that it didn’t start working right after the switch replacement and it would not auto open, I had to keep the button pressed to open and close.

Anyway, it’s dead again. No sound that it’s trying to work. It just does nothing and I’m starting to think my motor is shot.

Does anyone know some troubleshooting I can go through? I can see where the motor is but it’s damn near impossible to get to and I can’t find any info online explaining how to change it out.

I appreciate any help!

Get a subscription to AllDataDIY for the shop manual.

OP
OP
D

dkreller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Get a subscription to AllDataDIY for the shop manual.
I subscribed to AllDataDIY and found electrical drawings but that is Greek to me.

I took it to the dealership for a diagnostic test and they said I have power to the door. They asked if I wanted them to dive deeper but I didn't want to spend 100+ per hour. Not only is the sunroof dead, but the backlight illumination on the switch is about half as bright as the other switches in the overhead console.

Do these symptoms ring a bell for anyone? TIA

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I subscribed to AllDataDIY and found electrical drawings but that is Greek to me.

I took it to the dealership for a diagnostic test and they said I have power to the door. They asked if I wanted them to dive deeper but I didn't want to spend 100+ per hour. Not only is the sunroof dead, but the backlight illumination on the switch is about half as bright as the other switches in the overhead console.

Do these symptoms ring a bell for anyone? TIA

Did the dealership inform you of any trouble codes? A light half dim seems like a ground problem.

Did you go here on AllDataDIY: Vehicle » Body and Frame » Roof and Associated Components » Sunroof / Moonroof » Testing and Inspection » Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures » Power Sunroof Malfunction?

This is the troubleshooting guide but as I'm reading this it says one of the first things to do is perform the Sunroof Motor/Actuator Initialization/Teach Process. This requires a Tech-2 or equivalent. The Tech-2 will make diagnosis much easier, you can command the sunroof to open and close without pressing buttons in truck for testing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts