2009 - 2013 XL 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t_bergman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally found a black SLT 2500 with low-ish mileage, I currently have a 2009 black slt 2500 with 159k that will be retiring if I am able to pick this one up.

The 2013 is a two owner, started it's life in WY in 2013 then moved to Visalia CA in 2014 and sold to owner #2 with 46k on the odometer who drove it up through Feb of this year.

Flights are booked to go test drive the 2013 tomorrow, from 2009 to 2013 which are the gotcha's that I will need to look for?

It's got a cracked dash with a cap currently, I am working on getting in touch with Greg @ CPS to upgrade from a non-nav to a nav based system and it needs two new front interior door panels. From what I can tell everything else it in good shape for being 9 years old and plan to flush every fluid once it's home to Chicago after 1,300 miles this weekend.

If this deal does go through, I will have the 2009 available for sale within a few weeks with every maintenance receipt from purchase in 2013 with 58k on the odometer.

If you are also in the Chicago area the 2013 has buckets which I am looking to swap for a bench, or I'll be putting the buckets in the 09 and the bench in the 13.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Hope the deal goes according to plan. Love the predictability of the 2500.

OP
OP
T

t_bergman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the 2013 I picked up today, I'll probably continue on this thread the various changes which I'll be making.

I have a 2009 with 159k on it however it's been through five winters in ND, four in OH and the rest in Chicago and there is some rust starting to come through on the wheel wells. I was either going to replace the rear quarter panels and paint/clear coat however what I can't see and don't know I don't know.

The 2013 popped up which was from CA without any rust on the underside or body, it does have some minor sunburns which I will be getting corrected but I shaved 90k off my odometer and 4 years off the body/frame. It's the last of the 2500 series, and I took the opportunity to upgrade to the L96 and all of the transmission features not present on the 09.

So far the list is:
-Fix the CA sunburn
-Brushguard from Frontier truck gear
-New dash (13 has a cap, 09 has two cracks so a wash in my book)
-I need two front door interior door panels (known prior to looking)
-Towing mirrors
-2013 HDD Nav unit
-Swap the buckets from the 13 to the 09 and put the bench in the 13.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally found a black SLT 2500 with low-ish mileage, I currently have a 2009 black slt 2500 with 159k that will be retiring if I am able to pick this one up.

The 2013 is a two owner, started it's life in WY in 2013 then moved to Visalia CA in 2014 and sold to owner #2 with 46k on the odometer who drove it up through Feb of this year.

Flights are booked to go test drive the 2013 tomorrow, from 2009 to 2013 which are the gotcha's that I will need to look for?

It's got a cracked dash with a cap currently, I am working on getting in touch with Greg @ CPS to upgrade from a non-nav to a nav based system and it needs two new front interior door panels. From what I can tell everything else it in good shape for being 9 years old and plan to flush every fluid once it's home to Chicago after 1,300 miles this weekend.

If this deal does go through, I will have the 2009 available for sale within a few weeks with every maintenance receipt from purchase in 2013 with 58k on the odometer.

If you are also in the Chicago area the 2013 has buckets which I am looking to swap for a bench, or I'll be putting the buckets in the 09 and the bench in the 13.

You will enjoy the cruise control and towing software improvements if you tow with it.

Powertrain Grade Braking Normal Mode
Cruise Grade Braking Normal Mode
Hill Start Assist
Trailer Sway Control

The 2009s door panel handles are more durable so consider swapping them out or getting '09 panels but you'll also need the bezels. Just put the trucks side by side when you get home and you'll see the differences.

I enjoy the factory navigation but GM will not authorize the company that makes the updates to offer new maps so we're stuck with 2016 maps.

Love the 2500s!

OP
OP
T

t_bergman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I enjoy the factory navigation but GM will not authorize the company that makes the updates to offer new maps so we're stuck with 2016 maps.

This is interesting, I may find another route to go as I would like built in Navigation which is current and up to date. Dynavin and Rosen made the GM OEM style radios, wonder if I could source a new or very good condition unit.

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 2500 with black bench,but Im 2500 miles away.
Love the handling and the extra height.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is interesting, I may find another route to go as I would like built in Navigation which is current and up to date. Dynavin and Rosen made the GM OEM style radios, wonder if I could source a new or very good condition unit.
I installed an Xtrons unit from Amazon in my 2007 three years ago, it’s an android-based head unit that’s a direct replacement for the OEM radios in these trucks. I absolutely love it. It’s literally plug and play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts