2007 Burb Z71 coolant question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phibbs87

Reaction score
So basically driving to work this morning she started to show she was starting to overheat. Question is if throw some of this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-...ntifreeze-Coolant-Quickfill-1-Gallon/16889202

Into the reservoir will it last me until this weekend when I will do a flush? Bought her last night & the reservoir tank has barely any in there.

How do you know if ur thermostat is sticking shut? I just sold my 07 Hoe & picked up a 07 Burb Z71 (Tahoe XL as my kids call her) w/ 115k last night and I noticed on the drive this morning that she was running really warm driving to work. I just went down & checked & it looks like the coolant reservoir is almost bone dry (stupid me for not checking before I left the hole in the wall dealership) so I’m hoping if I fill her up with dex-cool 15075118, then that will resolve the issue cus both fans are running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
So basically driving to work this morning she started to show she was starting to overheat. Question is if throw some of this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-...ntifreeze-Coolant-Quickfill-1-Gallon/16889202

Into the reservoir will it last me until this weekend when I will do a flush? Bought her last night & the reservoir tank has barely any in there.

How do you know if ur thermostat is sticking shut? I just sold my 07 Hoe & picked up a 07 Burb Z71 (Tahoe XL as my kids call her) w/ 115k last night and I noticed on the drive this morning that she was running really warm driving to work. I just went down & checked & it looks like the coolant reservoir is almost bone dry (stupid me for not checking before I left the hole in the wall dealership) so I’m hoping if I fill her up with dex-cool 15075118, then that will resolve the issue cus both fans are running.

How high did the gauge get???

Will it last till the weekend??? Yes, no, maybe... depends on how bad the leak is.

OP
OP
Phibbs87

Phibbs87

Reaction score
How high did the gauge get???

Will it last till the weekend??? Yes, no, maybe... depends on how bad the leak is.

Went just over the next line after 210 but I shut off ac and it stayed around there above or below & I kept the speed around 40mph

kbuskill

Reaction score
So about 235°-240° on the dash.

Like I mentioned in your other post, top it off and keep a VERY close eye on the gauge and the coolant level until you find the leak.

OP
OP
Phibbs87

Phibbs87

Reaction score
So about 235°-240° on the dash.

Like I mentioned in your other post, top it off and keep a VERY close eye on the gauge and the coolant level until you find the leak.

Ok so filled the surge tank up with almost a whole gallon of dex-cool 50/50 orange & drove home which is about 5.5 miles. It stayed at the 210 degree middle location even with AC running. Shud it be dripping anywhere from under the engine? Trying to distinguish between coolant leak & simple normal AC drip. Obviously I’ve never had coolant issues on any vehicle haha

kbuskill

Reaction score
Ok so filled the surge tank up with almost a whole gallon of dex-cool 50/50 orange & drove home which is about 5.5 miles. It stayed at the 210 degree middle location even with AC running. Shud it be dripping anywhere from under the engine? Trying to distinguish between coolant leak & simple normal AC drip. Obviously I’ve never had coolant issues on any vehicle haha

It really all depends on where the leak is.

If it is up high, the T-connectors on the firewall for heater hoses as an example, then the coolant may burn off/evaporate before it makes it down to the ground.

Like wise if it is an intake gasket or head gasket then you likely wouldn't see a drop on the ground either as it would probably be internal.

Too many variables to give a definitive answer.

Best thing to do is get home and turn off the A/C and let the truck run while you look under the hood for anything wet or steaming.

Periodically check your gauge to make sure it's not overheating.

OP
OP
Phibbs87

Phibbs87

Reaction score
It really all depends on where the leak is.

If it is up high, the T-connectors on the firewall for heater hoses as an example, then the coolant may burn off/evaporate before it makes it down to the ground.

Like wise if it is an intake gasket or head gasket then you likely wouldn't see a drop on the ground either as it would probably be internal.

Too many variables to give a definitive answer.

Best thing to do is get home and turn off the A/C and let the truck run while you look under the hood for anything wet or steaming.

Periodically check your gauge to make sure it's not overheating.

Ok well AC is off and truck is running in the driveway. Hoping it’s just that the dealership forgot to top off the coolant

OP
OP
Phibbs87

Phibbs87

Reaction score
So have been running the AC as normal, not full blast, but just now sitting in the drive thru while ac was on burb heated up to 220-225 degrees but turned ac off & dropped back down to 210. I’ll check coolant level when I get home

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
First things first, see if you're actually losing coolant. You could also burp it a bit maybe there's an air pocket in there. The level in the tank is going to change when the truck is warm. You should check the level while cold. Look at the level in the morning. Note it accurately, or fill it precisely. Drive the truck for the day (normally). Check it again the next morning and compare to your level from the first morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10