2006 Yukon XL Power Driver seat isn't working, and neither heated seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmlhd7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2006 3/4 Yukon XL with the 6.0L. A few things I've noticed on it. The drivers power seat doesn't work, no directions at all, but the passenger works just fine. And then neither the driver or passenger heated seats work. The lights do nothing when pressing the buttons. Where are the easy things I should check on first for these items? Appreciate any help and constructive feedback.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the system works like this: You have a body controller and this unit makes the control, as far as I know, of the internal electric, like the lock system, the windows and the seats.

You have an electrical harness, which goes from the switch where you can choose the memory setting for the seats, to this controller and as well from the controller, to the seats where is, as far as I know, another controller below the seat, to control the motors which move the seat.

I guess the easiest way would be, if you have electrical knowledge, then get a plan and check at the connectors, if you have the correct values for Voltage and that the cables have no breaks in the wiring harnesses.

If you don't have a plan and aren't an electronics genius, you can definitely remove both seats and measure where you have 12 volts on the plug, because power has to arrive at the seat first.

I think since the seats are relatively similar in function, they will have pretty much the same plugs. With a little logic, you can get to the point and if you have 12 volts somewhere or on several pins on a wiring harness on the passenger side and you don't have 12 volts anywhere on your driver's seat, then you know, that you have to look for the reason.

If everything is equal, maybe your controller of the seat is defective.

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with the heated seat on my driver's side. One of the heater pads is bad. Very likely the seat bottom pad as that one sees the most wear and tear. The driver and passenger seat heater circuits are linked. If one has a malfunction, it will take the other out too. The seat back heater is linked to the seat bottom. If the bottom doesn't work, neither will the back.

It is possible to get to the plug for the seat back heater by fishing around between the seat back and bottom from behind. It's a black cable with a green plug on the end. If you disconnect it and put a volt meter on it in continuity mode, you can see if the seat back has continuity. If yes, then your problem is the seat bottom.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course it could be that, as we say in Germany, he has lice and fleas. But a defective seat heating element will not kill the entire electrical system of the seat.

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course it could be that, as we say in Germany, he has lice and fleas. But a defective seat heating element will not kill the entire electrical system of the seat.

Correct. I was just addressing that particular issue.

I vaguely remember something about if the brake switch or even something as small as a brake bulb was faulty, it would disable cruise control, power seat functionality, and the seat memory function. I could be remembering wrong though.

OP
OP
J

jmlhd7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update on this: I figued out that one of the connectors in the back under the seat was loose, and by trying to re seat the connector, the power seat starts working and the heated seats and lumbar work. now it seems that only the back heated seat works and not the butt. Haven't had any more time to diagnose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660