2005 Z71 Hydroboost Replacement / Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flachzwilling

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, hello there!

I have a 2005 Z71 5.3 Suburban that I do love but that does hate me.
Recently the hydroboost unit started to leak PS fluid from the accumulator. The consensus seems to replace it whole rather than trying to seal it.
In my research I stumbled across some posts from the HD/Diesel corner which do recommend switching from the old NBS booster unit to one from 2011 on. Firmer pedal feel and more manageable stopping power should ensue. And to top it off, the later unit is way cheaper. The whole thing is plug'n'play apart from widening the eye of the rod a fraction.
Unfortunately the part numbers between SD and HD and SUV/Pickup differ, so that there seems to be no 1:1 swap like that for the Duramaxes.

So, does anyone know if there is such a swap for the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban family? Or at least what the differences in the hydroboost units are from a fitting/working perspective?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The different part numbers for the SD, HD and SUV/PU part numbers likely is to account for the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of the different models and different brake sizes. Like the old JB3/JB4 RPO codes for Pickups. One was standard and the other was heavy duty (Bigger rotors and calipers). I dont know if the newer style are direct swap ins for the gassers.

Brkdrvr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, new to this forum, just searched hydroboost info as my 2005 Suburban Z71 (1500 series) hydroboost seems to be leaking power steering fluid and has been fo a while, it has 210,000 miles and runs great I’ve owned since new and am planning to keep for another 100/200K. The new GM hydroboost unit is $300.00. I would be interested in the “upgrade” and also if the newer 2011 unit was cheaper especially better. I have heard rumors about the substitution but nothing more, wondering if anyone else has info? Thanks, Mike

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is interesting. Would like to know as well if any of this "upgrade" has been proven or dismissed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne