2005 Yukon long tube headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alexnelson42

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Local muffler shop said long tube headers would not heat the catalytic converters up enough and you can not dual exhaust an 05 yukon because of the evap system and a plastic gas tank. Is this true?

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Local muffler shop said long tube headers would not heat the catalytic converters up enough and you can not dual exhaust an 05 yukon because of the evap system and a plastic gas tank. Is this true?
Sounds like a croc of shit.
Check out speed engineering I’ve had good luck with their exhaust and headers on 99-06 trucks and Tahoes and I have their Longtubes on both my 07 Silverado and Tahoe no issues.
To run true duels you will need to get aftermarket shorty cats for them to fit with the y pipe unless you relocate them under the passenger side seat.
I’m running their cat less true duel x pipe and Personally I’ve always deleted the cats when doing exhaust but not all states allow that…

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that local shop does not want to install your headers....id add high flow cats or no cats and a tune after the install to keep from getting cat codes and down stream o2 codes.

OP
OP
Alexnelson42

Alexnelson42

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like a croc of shit.
Check out speed engineering I’ve had good luck with their exhaust and headers on 99-06 trucks and Tahoes and I have their Longtubes on both my 07 Silverado and Tahoe no issues.
To run true duels you will need to get aftermarket shorty cats for them to fit with the y pipe unless you relocate them under the passenger side seat.
I’m running their cat less true duel x pipe and Personally I’ve always deleted the cats when doing exhaust but not all states allow that…
Thank you for the great info!

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Thank you for the great info!
Also for true duels it would run down the passenger side then run over the axle to wherever you want your tips to be
IMG_5467.jpegIMG_5468.jpegIMG_5469.jpegIMG_5495.jpegIMG_5541.jpeg
Side note don’t be surprised if you get a broken header bolt or two trying to get the stock bolts out. A left hand bit or easy out usually will get them out but be careful not to over drill
If you get speed engineering headers don’t use the paper gasket they send only use Gm ac delco etc multi layer steel header gaskets only!

Also it is well worth it to spend the extra 30$ or so on ARP header STUDS over the BOLTS as it’ll make install a lot easier especially if your doing it by yourself it can be a biotch to get all the bolts lined up. I’m still kicking myself in the ass for not getting them this past go round knowing how much easier it would’ve made the job.

With the speed engineering kit you can install everything yourself in the driveway if you are up to it as it’s not too hard the headers are the most aggravating and getting the stock pipe out. I cut sections out of mine instead of fighting the rusted bolts but I never had intentions on reusing the stock exhaust anyways.

k_arnold72

Reaction score
Also for true duels it would run down the passenger side then run over the axle to wherever you want your tips to be
View attachment 407607View attachment 407608View attachment 407609View attachment 407610View attachment 407611
Side note don’t be surprised if you get a broken header bolt or two trying to get the stock bolts out. A left hand bit or easy out usually will get them out but be careful not to over drill
If you get speed engineering headers don’t use the paper gasket they send only use Gm ac delco etc multi layer steel header gaskets only!

Also it is well worth it to spend the extra 30$ or so on ARP header STUDS over the BOLTS as it’ll make install a lot easier especially if your doing it by yourself it can be a biotch to get all the bolts lined up. I’m still kicking myself in the ass for not getting them this past go round knowing how much easier it would’ve made the job.

With the speed engineering kit you can install everything yourself in the driveway if you are up to it as it’s not too hard the headers are the most aggravating and getting the stock pipe out. I cut sections out of mine instead of fighting the rusted bolts but I never had intentions on reusing the stock exhaust anyways.

You've given me GREAT hope for my fitment concerns, I'm planning a similar setup on my K2xxx. I know it's not apples to apples, but still, you CAN fit long tubes and duals with 4wd. Nicely done.

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
You've given me GREAT hope for my fitment concerns, I'm planning a similar setup on my K2xxx. I know it's not apples to apples, but still, you CAN fit long tubes and duals with 4wd. Nicely done.
Yea man it can most definitely be done. I like the speed engineering kit get the nicer clamps and if you do have leaks just have the connections welded down the road mine had held up good though.
Also I diddnt note I have the 1 7/8” Longtubes with 3” pipe all the way back
I think I was around 1,000$ with the speed engineering headers and y pipe some stainless pipe and then mufflers
Another 150$ for the muffler shop to run the tail pipes/axle dumps for me
Came out awesome and even with no cats it’s not horribly loud cruising but when you get on it she really opens up over 3,000rpm
I went with the corsa pro resonators
I wanted the corsa pro mufflers but wallet wouldn’t allow it at the time but im still happy.
The X pipe is almost essential imo as it helps with the back pressure loss from no cats AND it takes away almost all of the frapping popping cracking shit you normally get with loud exhaust and cleans it up a lot!

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Also it is kind of apples to apples because besides the front suspension the whole frame and powertrain setup/placement and rear suspension setup is the same as the 07-13s
So this should be a good reference for you.
Good luck and make sure to post your final results once you get it all done!!

Keviebear86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the speed engineering long tubes matched with their catless y-pipe go to factory position to bolt up to the factory exhaust? It would only be temporary until I get them full 3" exhaust delivered. Just trying to knock one job out at at time.

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Does the speed engineering long tubes matched with their catless y-pipe go to factory position to bolt up to the factory exhaust? It would only be temporary until I get them full 3" exhaust delivered. Just trying to knock one job out at at time.
You would probably have to fabricate or clamp the connection to the stock exhaust pipe it wouldn’t be a simple bolt on but could be easily modified to work
The header and y pipe would be bolt on but a muffler shop could make the connection to the exhaust for a easy 30-40$

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz