2005 yukon driving in rain and tranny wont shift out of first gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jr_454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone now I have a problem. Driving home in a rain storm on Tuesday and I hit a puddle and my tranny wont go out of first gear after that. I had it towed the dealer who I just bought it from a Chrysler dealer and they said that they could not find a problem. The did find out that the insturment cluster needed to be replaced under a GMC extended warranty plan for this problem so they sent it there. I talked to the GMC guy and he said the same thing they ran it through the car wash about 6 times and had some techs take hoses and spray under the car and engine bay and they could not recreate the problem. I ve talked to some other mechanics I know and they said that if spraying water over the tranny didnt recreate it, that if might have been a fluke. Just wondering if you all had any thoughts

fierodough

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone now I have a problem. Driving home in a rain storm on Tuesday and I hit a puddle and my tranny wont go out of first gear after that. I had it towed the dealer who I just bought it from a Chrysler dealer and they said that they could not find a problem. The did find out that the insturment cluster needed to be replaced under a GMC extended warranty plan for this problem so they sent it there. I talked to the GMC guy and he said the same thing they ran it through the car wash about 6 times and had some techs take hoses and spray under the car and engine bay and they could not recreate the problem. I ve talked to some other mechanics I know and they said that if spraying water over the tranny didnt recreate it, that if might have been a fluke. Just wondering if you all had any thoughts

My guess... You had a stuck or contaminated valve / solenoid and the clog passed? Maybe change the fluid and filter? (Don't do a flush!)

OP
OP
J

Jr_454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ill do that. hopefully that will take care of the problem. Has any one else had there insturment cluster replaced by gm under the "campaign" concept.

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I had my 05 replaced right before GM included some of the 05s and got reimbursed for it. Its a big problem with the 03-06

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of water causing a transmission problem. They are pretty well protected from the elements. My theory is that the puddle is coincidental and had nothing to do with the actual problem. How many miles are on your truck? I'd say that you might want to do a pan drop and filter/fluid replacement. I'll second the comment that you should NOT do a flush, just drop the pan and replace the fluid in it.

OP
OP
J

Jr_454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you all were right happend to be a speed sensor that dropped out durring the rain. Dealer replaced it for free when they did the dash cluster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz