2005 Tahoe Ls stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bacon83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Truck has about 280k on it. From a cold start it will run and drive for 20 minutes then stalls and won't restart. I've already changed the crank, cam, map, mass air, oil, and coolant sensors. Along with the fuel pump, fuel relay, ignition relay, and the ecm. Plus cleaned the throttle body. The truck has no check engine lights on. And at this point I'm completely lost. When it dies I have 54 psi at the rails. Throttle body is at 4% at idle and opens to 14% after it dies. Also showing pluse width on the injector. Any ideas please comment.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

I am assuming that when you say it will not start that you mean it cranks and will not start/fire off.

You said that you have 54 psi, at the rails, when dies. Do you have spark at that same time?

OP
OP
B

Bacon83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Honestly that's the one tool I dont have to be able to test the spark. So I don't know if it is the spark that is cutting out

OP
OP
B

Bacon83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And correct when it dies it will crank but not start until about an hour later and will run for less time then from a cold start

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa, that sounds like you dropped a nuclear parts bomb on that rig. You really need to have live data during these episodes to know what is actually happening to your Tahoe. From your description it seems money is not an issue, so buy yourself a really nice scan tool and solve the issue. Replacing all the parts might be a good refresher for our older Tahoes, but you also might be chasing it for a long time without the live data or proper scan tool to talk to your Tahoe.

OP
OP
B

Bacon83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm using a snapon Apolo d8 and watching the live data. Nothing seems abnormal. When it dies it shuts down like I turned off the key except everything stays on bit the engine. I'm not normally one to throw parts at a car but I have no where to start from. So I started with the common issues and tried process of elimination.

OP
OP
B

Bacon83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a good running twin to this truck so I've been able to swap parts and not spend the money. I've only been buying the parts I know are bad

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There has to be something the ECM is doing or seeing to make this happen. Does your scanner have Mode 6 Data? Fuel trims? I don't know how in depth your scanner is, but your should be able to monitor electrical live data as well, if this is not a fuel issue.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From quickly looking at that snapon tool's specs it said it has bi-directional communications. Try talking to each module possible and and monitoring any data live or stored that they give you.

OP
OP
B

Bacon83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Basically the only thing my scanner doesn't do is graphing and reprogramming. I am able to see fuel trim. Off hand I can't give you the numbers. I'm headed into work and can't get back to it until tomorrow. I can tell you I do have random misfires but it doesn't seem to be shutting down because of that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan