2004 Yukon steering sucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jkittre777

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 2004 Yukon and the steering is sooo touchy. I have replaced everything. Even replaced the pump last week. No change.There is no play in the steering, just way to sensitive. I see there is a flow restrictor that will limit the power steering pumps flow to the gear box. Has anyone used this?

V30Crewcab

Reaction score
I haven't used a flow restictor, but I did swap the large nut on the back of the ps pump that your line threads into, with one that has a slightly smaller hole. haven't had it on the freeway much yet, but I think its a little less twitchy. I also have my caster up to 4.5 I think, and a large front sway bar.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If it is extremely touchy as you say I would suspect a problem with the steering gearbox adjustment. When you say you replaced everything, what is everything? Another thing that can give a strange feel to the steering is when a ball joint is frozen and doesn't rotate smoothly and can give a jerky feeling and most of the time there is a noise associated with that ball joint. If you replaced everything, then can I assume all ball joints were replaced?

V30Crewcab

Reaction score
It seems to work well for me now. I did alot of other things trying to fix this, biggest fix was a bigger front sway bar, but the smaller orfice in the ps was the finishing touch.

MaBs413

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It seems to work well for me now. I did alot of other things trying to fix this, biggest fix was a bigger front sway bar, but the smaller orfice in the ps was the finishing touch.

What brand of sway bar did you use?

OP
OP
J

Jkittre777

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I finally got tired of white knuckling on long trips so I fixed the problem 100%. I replaced the orifice on the back of the power steering pump. It’s called a “Mustang 2 power steering flow valve”
P/N 91032918. Made by
“ Speedway Motors”.
I ordered it on Amazon. I am super stoked!!! 100% fixed the sensitive steering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14