2004 5.3 liter tahoe transmission line issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rickmorgan2005

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
goodmorning folks-NEED some much needed help,advice.
i have another post on this same vechicle about a miss,poor mileage,and fuel pressure dropping.
BUT....after changing fuel pump,"which were not confindent was a fix" ive drove it, maybe 5 miles, engine light back on and we live in the remote mountains so going on a highway i have to have someone follow me because if i breakdown theres no cell service for 30 miles.
So anyways, was driving it around and cars rpms shot up and no power-pulled off and smoke coming out from hood-and underneath. tranny fluid ALL OVER!!!
Looked behind me, had a trail as far as i could see. got it pulled home, come to find out , on the transmission, the bottom transmission line popped out. now, this being said, we put in a used one 13 months ago. no we sooo struggled getting clips in through the male nut on tranny.we bent several,lost several,etc...
eventually got it.
my question is this. #1. what actuall size is these? i bought a assortment of three or four sizes from dorman.
#2. is it possible that clip was alittle distorted and after a year gave and line popped out?
#3. does installing clip in male nut FIRST then just pop line in work on this year model?
the line is still flared, i mean, doestnt look worn out,but not shure how line just popped out

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been a while since I've disconnected those, but you are supposed to install the clips into the fitting, then insert the lines til it clicks/snaps in. That way you dont distort and damaged the retainers. They are a pain to remove but should be a breeze to install. That aside you probably did some damage, no idea to what level could be just minor or bad. Did you hear the click/snap when putting it in? If so you probably used one too big and the line just snapped off or overstretched it. Forgot to add, did put the black plastic sleeve over it after? Those are supposed to prevent deflection.

Timbers68

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you don't have access to a dealer or a trans shop close to you I'd suggest pulling the other clip off the other line and matching it up.

If there is a specific size to those clips I don't know it. A new set comes in most every rebuild kit I've seen so a trans shop would probably have a few extras lying around.

OE clip #24205103, looks like summit racing and amazon have them. You can buy the whole fitting with new orings and clip OE #24205102. If you get the fittings I'd just caution you to make sure you don't overtighten them and crack the case.

I imagine someone didn't install the line correctly and or the clip was bent.

You can install the clip first or put the line in then the clip if you want. If you do the later just make sure that clips in there correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094